1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YouTube discoveries

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by Hopper, Jan 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

YouTube discoveries (Updated Jan 16)

I was thinking that it might be good to have a thread dedicated to our own "discovered gems" from YouTube. No real parameters...anything thats funny or relates somehow to clowning or magic or whatever.

On a related note, is there a help file that will show me how to embed the video right into the post? I tried it but just got a bunch of html garble.

Anyway, here's my first...Bob Keeshan/Capt Kangaroo doing the "Town Clown" I just found it yesterday.

Its beautiful in it's childlike simplicity.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 34
    • Laugh Laugh x 4
  2. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

That did the old heart good. I grew up watching Capt. Kangaroo, and the Town Clown was my favorite.

Thanks, Hopper!

4. Grandpa Weatherbie

Grandpa Weatherbie Well-Known Member

Good Morning, Mr. Rabbit.

5. Hopper

Hopper New Member

Here's another from the Captain's show. A little bit of instruction from the master.

Whenever someone says "magician", I always think of Doug Henning first. I'd imagine its because he was on TV a lot when I was that age. I think he did a stint of guesting on a lot of kid shows around that time.

I remember his personality, and the bit about "holding your hand in a natural position", almost more so than I remember any of his tricks...except the one with the pom-pom stick. Saw him do that once and never forgot it. (One of these days I'm going to get me one of those.)

There's something in his amost elfin enthusiasm that was just wonderful, and I've never seen another like him.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 11
  6. Happy Chappy & Daisy

Happy Chappy & Daisy Well-Known Member

Doug Henning was a different kind of magician, who left the top hat and tails that was actually common dress of the day instead of a costume, and made magic magical again with rainbow jumpsuits and a new enthusiasm. I remember his version of the Chinese Water Torture; everybody thought something went wrong, and the masked assistant (who seemed to be in plain sight the entire time) smashed the glass to release the water. The tank was empty, and the assistant removed his mask, to be revealed as Doug Henning. Amazing. Not another like him before or since.

7. Hopper

Hopper New Member

One of the modern masters, in my opinion. Not sure if he's actually being Mr. Bean here, but its Rowan Atkinson, and he's awesome.

I believe this is from the huge Comedy Festival they have every year in Montreal.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
    • Laugh Laugh x 12
    • Thanks Thanks x 8
  8. BlossomTheClown

BlossomTheClown New Member

Great videos! Thanks for sharing.

9. Miss Petunia

Miss Petunia New Member

TOOO Funny, I love Rown Atkinson!!! His face is so elastic and hilarious! The timing is right on. I can't imagine the hours of practice that would have to go into a performance like that. I wonder how he pulled it off, if it was a drummer backstage performing right along, or if it was by tape. Whichever, that is a very good air drum performance!

Carrie

10. Saxlampouxlas

Saxlampouxlas Active Member

11. Pobo the Hobo

Pobo the Hobo New Member

The amazing George Carl. I think I posted this somewhere on the Forum before, but since this is a dedicated youtube thread I thought I would post it again... I learned of him from Pat Cashin's historic clowns of the past blog at clownalley.net If you don't follow it, you should. It is fascinating and one of the things that keeps clowning on my mind.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. I'm always on the look out for new Bill Irwin videos on YouTube and tonight I found one! It's his act from a show honoring Steve Martin. Look who Martin's special guests are, sitting to the right!

13. The Muppet Movie

I've been watching all the Muppet movies I can lately and on a whim I decided to see if I could find any on YouTube. Here is the entire Muppet Movie! It's been broken down into 10 minute segments. I watched the whole thing last night and it is as fun as I remember. Wokka wokka wokka!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Pobo the Hobo

Pobo the Hobo New Member

Strangely enough Chance, I watched the Muppet Movie about three nights ago on youtube. I have also been watching a lot of Sesame street.

I think these guys are one of the reasons everyone thinks that all clown noses honk.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
    • Laugh Laugh x 2
  15. This is disturbing. Can't recall if I put it up somewhere else...

And slightly less disturbing but just as funny...

Apologies if I've put either up before but I've rediscovered them!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  16. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  17. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

18. If you grew up in the 80s you probably remember one of the most awesome and positive television shows for kids "Punky Brewster". I get waves of nostalgia which cause me to dig through youtube looking for things I've forgotten.

I came across this Punky Brewster clip featuring the late Andy Gibb doing an amazing piano song "I can't help it". Andy Gibb is of course one of the brothers Gibb (The BeeGees) but he hardly ever performed with them. His passing (at just barely 30 years old) was a great loss. I remember this song and it really stuck with me, beautiful. I'd love to do a romantic clown sketch to it and I bet no one else has done one! So here it is. Enjoy! Also if it gives you any ideas for a romantic sketch, lay it on me!

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  19. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

• Laugh Laugh x 1