1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Without Words

Discussion in 'Circus and Stage Clowning' started by Pinkberry, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Pinkberry

Pinkberry The man. The myth. The mustache.

I don't know why WS feels the need to start wars. I find nothing funny here.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Where's Paul Schaffer?

3. cupkakes

cupkakes New Member

48 I LOVE the clown mermaid you are holding!!!

4. tim

So, what I find interesting about the latest picture are the non-whitefaces.

I actually would like to understand more of the history about "why whiteface" in that era of circus, when there are so few today. It seemed to be the normative canvas for clown faces, which were just as often using far more "grotesque" designs atop. But was this for better communication to audiences? Was there something about the arenas of performance (large white tops?) And why, conversely, has it been all but dropped in contemporary circus? (Well, perhaps, save Cirque Du Soleil which sometimes uses makeuping styles for its characters which are every bit as eccentric.)

That said, two personages stand out to me in this photo. One is the guy in the back row with the black hat (flower attached), black jacket, and wide spotted scarf tie. Unique.

There is also a woman in the picture (about two rows straight down from him) who seems out of place. A clown? Not likely in this mostly male era. Nor does it look like a character dressed in drag. Who, then, is she? And why is she with the group?

Third row, opposite end, is another guy who appears odd or out of place. A character clown? Or an administrator?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. cupkakes

cupkakes New Member

lmao at the huge butt!

6. Finney

Finney New Member

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Barnie Bonkers

Barnie Bonkers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  8. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

There is so much expression in these faces. The makeup styles vary greatly, the eras vary widely over at minimum, a 90 year span. But the expressions have told everyone that ever looked at the pictures, or the performer in their day, that this was a "Clown."

Thank you for adding this trove of treasures to the Forum Mark.

9. Grandpa Weatherbie

Grandpa Weatherbie Well-Known Member

Very touching.

10. Cool Fool

Cool Fool Clown

Of course, I'd rather say "Hubba Hubba!".

11. tim

Hey, it's Jay! (But I think my - private collection, not to be shared online - picture of him in his underwear, hanging the laundry in the show's backyard, is better.)

"What's next, Jay?" (Oh, wait, that's only when we're helping them load the show out.)

12. tim

I'd like to see some of the circus/clown artwork of that noted artist, Mark Renfro!

Alright, and some Bill Ballantine, too!

13. tim

What about contemporary clowns? Do you have anything in the collection from the "new circus", "new vaudeville", or the "theatrical clowning" world, say? Maybe even hospital clown or three?

This thread has been a great "look back" which is very valuable, but what about a "look around?" (Which is also important in today's clown world to expand our overall understanding of what is out there and what is considered "clown.")

14. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

I really like those drawings. Now I want to make more clown drawings myself. :D
    What is the name of this artist?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  15. tim

Ask and you shall receive!

Which are the color clown drawings. (I knew he had to have them. I've seen some exhibited before.)

And these are the black line, pencil (or are they charcoal?) sketches which were offered.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Thanks for posting these!

17. tim

You know, I'd like to learn more about the clown "songsters." I hear about them having been a staple of circuses in an earlier era (especially pre- three ring.) But I never hear much about the names or the music or the actual performances, other than basic, passing, mentions of their existence in generality. Perhaps these posters can serve as some incentive to research the topic more thoroughly.

Indeed, beyond that, these images serve as great incentive to learn more about some of the figures noted.... "Rich Hayes, The 'Lazy Clown'"..... who has ever even heard of him????? Wouldn't it be great to study much more about the person and his act, and even be able to emulate?

Ah, the importance of ephemera!

18. tim

Anything from Native American clowning?

Or clowning from other cultures?

Maybe Shakespearian clowns? Commedia Dell'Arte characters?

19. SteveCopeland

SteveCopeland New Member

Fantastic photos. Thank you so much for sharing!

Steve Copeland

20. SteveCopeland

SteveCopeland New Member

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!
    Where did you find that picture of me as Super Steve?
    All I can say is, thank God for tooth whitening!

Steve