1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are we different?

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by StuartPid, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

So, restaurants have small margins, that may be smaller if their employees negotiated better wages. Well, welcome to life.

I grew up in the great state of New Jersey, where, since you are forbidden by law to pump your own gas, many people owned, ran, and worked at gas stations. And their profit margins were often in the one to two percent range, independent of the oil conglomerates. Somehow, often thru hard work, they managed to prosper. (Perhaps it was a generational thing; you took responsibility for your own success or lack thereof.)

So, okay, if restaurants were to have to charge more so they could pay their employees more, then those restaurants that have bad food and poor workers will not get repeat customers, and go out of business. Such is the nature of the beast.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Remember why we are Clowns not for the few who fear us but for the many who love us.
    "The need's of the many outweigh the need's of the few or the one". ( Spock in Star Trek II Wrath of Khan ).

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Olaf89

Olaf89 New Member

unfortunately, some people want everything for nothing. They don't even bother to think how hard clowns work at their craft.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Annie Jokely

Annie Jokely New Member

Some people wonder why the going rate is $75/clown for an hour. If they press the point, I politely let them know my prep begins an hour before I leave the house, and my training is part of the package. Reminds me of the old plumbing joke:

The plumber looked at the pipe thoughtfully, pulled out a hammer, and tapped it once.
    "$65," he said.
    "What?" said the homeowner, "Just to tap a pipe?"
    "$5 to tap the pipe. $60 to know where to tap."

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Tips, Times, Wages, and freebies

:cool:Maybe I'm late to the conversation but I'm doing to add my two cents if any one would like it.
    I place down my soap box and prepare to take the step up!

-As per time factor I after I've dealt with late starts from similar clients I reworded my Verbal and written contracts to say there is a 15 min grace period for guest to arrive and then my show starts so my show ends on time with the required contracted allotment of 1 -2 hrs depending. I also remind them on conformation phone calls. I let client know if were waiting on guest or other hold up making the start late I will adjust accordingly, if after the grace period. unless they would like to pay for the additional time if I'm not booked to do another show after.

--As per tips, I get them and am thrilled when it happens but, oh well when it doesn't! I was paid what I wanted to perform and do my show regardless. I feel Tips in clowning are like bonuses not required.

---As per the ones that ask why I charge what I charge. I give the analogy that if you need surgery you search out the best Dr. for the Job you wouldn't expect him to do heart surgery for minimum wage. He has insurance, school loans, employees and upkeep of skills and equipment. Clowns are no Different you get what you pay for! You want the best you pay what they feel they are worth or find another.

----As per charity work I like "V" I believe it was, I only do Charities that I want and hold near to my heart. Charity breeds charity work. I secretly believe there is a charity workers list that circulates. I did a lot when I started I got calls one after another after doing a charity event. "I heard you did a volunteer job for _________, we were interested in knowing if you would do a charity event for ____________?" I once had a lady she was saying how great I was as a performer and how impressed with my show and she just had to have me perform for her charity Head shaving event and then asked me what time should she put me on the schedule to say I Was Going to Shave My Head. She went on to say how much money that would bring in. I hadn't even said yes or no at this point. I had to politely say I'm not a puppet to be abused, it was a lot to assume I would shave my head for someone I didn't know, so I had to respectfully deny the show. I can't believe the nerve of some people. They think its all putting on a Halloween costume throw on some paint and its easy as pie in the face. (which is also hard work)
    I step down from my soap box now, and throw candy grams to all who read my ranting.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Donuts, you need to get on your soap box more often.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Chuckles_Douchet

Chuckles_Douchet New Member

The best way to combat anything is to have a plan. In this scenario, I suggest having a business plan. It might sound stuffy and word worthy, because it is. It is the stuff that is important that needs to be addressed.

With a business plan, you can make a customer information pamphlet that addresses these situations BEFORE they happen, so neither the performer or client is left unawares.

on this pamphlet you can have a time schedule of events that you know you can perform, and have set limits on how many party attendees you can interact with, i.e., face painting and balloons. With it written in a way that clients can understand, then you are free to have more fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1