1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do you get your skits?

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by cianuro, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cianuro

cianuro New Member

Where does everyone get their skits?
    I am currently looking for some and am finding it very difficult to actually come up with some myself.

:roll:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

skits

What type of skits are you looking for?
    Check out www.bubbasikes.com he carries all types from traditional to ministry. One thing to remember is to make a skit your own. How would your clown characture perform. In ministry many bible stories are easy to convert to clown ie the good Samaritan [spelling?] What what kids say and do. I've written one called God's treasure Box I pass along if interested.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Belle the Clown

Belle the Clown New Member

Where on the Bubba Sikes site are the skits? I know this was an old posting. Maybe they are not there now.

4. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

He carried several books with clown skits in there. As well as if you're looking for ministry skits, check out www.clown-ministry.com. Google Clown skits, there are many books out there, so check the resource thread.

5. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

6. Jodie

Jodie New Member

The clown forum has a lot of clown skits to use just type in Clown Skits on the Quick Links. Happy clowning. :D

7. Belle the Clown

Belle the Clown New Member

Thanks ladies! I thought you meant that there were free skits listed on his site. I do have some books. Always looking for more. I appreciate your replies and help.

8. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I've gotten into the habit of writing my own skits/routines. I find it easier to get them to match my clown style, and I don't have to worry about "stealing" material from others.

Basically, I start out with the idea that I want for the bit, and try to find out what's funny about that. Then I change it to how Pookie can make that funny, or how he would handle that situation.

It is a little more complex than that, though. I will try to outline the entire process and if possible post it on the forum at another time. However, not everyone need follow it exactly. It is flexible enough that anyone can change it to their particular likings.

9. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

I went to the SECA convention this month and watched the skit competitions. Some are still making me laugh but a few geeez maybe they shouldve done their bit for their alley first and asked for an honest opinion. I am lucky that I have alley clowns that will be honest and helpful when it comes to skits

10. GLITTER

GLITTER New Member

Hey pinkie

So pinkie you were at seca . What did you think of my skits both of them.

11. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Watch the classics and see what they do. I Love Lucy has a lot of funny material that can be used for a skit. Look for Boy Scout or Campfire skits. Conventions are good places to get ideas. You can also find some on YouTube.

If you can't make your own skits, try to adapt an existing skit to make it your own. You can change the location, characters, or even time the skit takes place.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

I rip them off sketch comedy shows and shows with skits in them. I analyze the skit and then rework it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I get mine from a place in Poughkeepsie, NY. When I need an idea, I send them some money, and they send me ideas for skits and gags.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Poughkeepsie is inherently funny.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Alot of the older show's have Clown Skits: I Love Lucy, The Carol Burnette Show, Red Skelton and many others, great thing is the newer generation has never seen these unless of course they are trying to be Clowns themselves and have looked into this idea already.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Chuckles_Douchet

Chuckles_Douchet New Member

These are amazing resources! Also look at silent movies. A great source for clown skit ideas. Do not forget early talkies too, W.C. Fields is one of my favorites. A lot of the early comedic movie stars were vaudevillian clown/comedy acts.

Keep in mind, there is an old saying "Clowns don't do funny things, they do things funny!"

Armed with that knowledge you can turn ANYTHING into a successful skit.

17. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Quotes from Lucille Ball:

“I'm not funny. What I am is brave.”

I would rather regret the things I have done than the things I have not”

“People either have comedy or they don't. You can't teach it to them.”

“Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous brunette."

Okay........I changed that last one to fit my own purposes. She actually said redhead.....but since I'm a brunette..........well.............

18. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

There are lot's of books out there with skits. Look at Boys scouts, Girls Scout, 4- H ,churches, and other orgazation for boos.,and pallets for skits. I am a people watcher and get a great deals of ideals from every day activites of people. Also watch little kids they are real and funny. Another thing I do is watch movies of old old time comedians and adapt it to my character. Keep an open mind and ideals will come to you

19. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I get a lot of creative ideas just by riding the L around Chicago.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator