1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with a giant saw

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by Snoetje, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

A friend of mine made a giant wooden saw with handles on both sides (don't know what they're called) for a children's show we were both in. It was a circus scene and we were about to saw the main character in half. Of course she ran away screaming. :p

I think it would be cool to use it for my Snoetje shows (if they come, sigh) too.
    Any ideas? :D

2. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

You can... find a giant tree!

I think what you've got is a two-man crosscut saw (or a felling saw), by the way.

3. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Get in the box and saw yourself in half!

4. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

No no no, absolutely not. Think clown, employ clown logic. Everywhere you go, every thing you do, you look for the absurd, the contrary and the perverse, that's where the funny is. The whole of the rest of the world thinks big saw for a big tree. The clown thinks big saw, little tree.

I might think about being the tree and portray the thoughts and emotions a tree might have when seeing a giant saw. What would a ""clown tree" do to stop a giant saw from working? How might it blunt the teeth, confuse the lumberjack etc? Once the mind starts working in these kind of directions all sorts of scenarios open up.

Or

Clown goes to a job interview for a lumberjack. The boss asks him have you any previous experience. The clown replies yes I used to work in the Sahara Forest. The boss asks, "Don't you mean the Sahara Desert?" The clown replies, "Oh, is that what they call it now?"

Depending on your tastes and persuasions, there is plenty of scope to play around with that ancient Jewish carpenter.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  5. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Building on Barry's always good ideas:

-Since the saw has two handles, and you are only one clown, push or pull one end and then repeat on the other end. This could go on for quite awhile.

-Use the large saw to cut down a little tree. When it falls, it makes a huge sound and destroys the set.

-Or combine both ideas. The tree starts out small, but as you run from one end of the saw to the other, it gets bigger each time.

6. Snoetje

Well actually, I found a potentional partner. So there might be two of us! (me clown, the other one probably human)
    But I like the one person idea too. :)
    And I love sound effects, so I like the huge effect after the tiny tree too.

I was thinking, something else than the theme sawing a tree, since that's what people already expect.
    Maybe sawing a tiny present in half or a teddybear or whatever to share it after fighting over it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  7. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

How about a cake? Like, you're looking for a cake knife, you can't find one, but you've got this GIANT SAW.

8. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

why saw anything at all with it? how else could you use the saw? what else could it be? a catapult? a table? could the open part of the handle be glasses? maybe it is a shark. perhaps it could be dressed up as a puppet and becoming a living character? what about a contest challenge to jump over it? or is it a bridge...for your dolls?

An exercise which an instructor promoted in a writing class I attended was called 10-100-1000. The idea was to go constantly deeper. Come up with ten ideas as to how you can use an object. Then brainstorm 100 more that you can do with each of those ten. Then take even that to the next level of possibilities. Part of the exercise is to get you away from the obvious. The first five things you think of probably are not the best. Once you get further down the list it gets harder to think of stuff but this is where the interesting stuff exists. It can be an especially fun exercise if you are making these lists along with others and start throwing all kinds of wild ideas around.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. V

V Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I like the advice of thinking of other uses for a large saw than just trees. However I would say to tread softly.

Using a saw for other than it's intended use can be funny; it can become less funny the further you get away from that intended use. What ever is done with it must have a purpose, and a purpose that makes sense.

In Laurel and Hardy's The Flying Deuces, the pair end up in the brig, and in a effort to cheer up Ollie, Stan grabs the bed frame and used it as a harp. Both Abbott and Costello and the Three Stooges did plumbing bits where everything goes wrong, the bathroom gets flooded, and they end up using a tub as a boat to get out. These things were used in ways they were not intended for, and yet how and why they were used made sense in the context of the bit. And this is what needs to be remembered.

Vegetus's contribution demonstrates the extreme end of what I am saying. It starts with a man wanting to be a lumberjack-- big, strong, hard working. Manly!! As the song progresses, the man gets into very non-manly and non-lumberjacky things. His girl and the Mounty back-up singers visibly react to what is being said as things get more bizarre, rather than act as though this happens all the time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Snoetje

That's what I thought too. If the saw doesn't saw anything or isn't dangerous, then why use a saw at all? It's not like a saw is nice as image alone haha. (my opinion)
    You can just use something simpler instead.

12. Guardsman

Guardsman New Member

Put glasses on it and it's a "See-saw" put a saddle on it and it's a "Saw-horse" XD You could ride around in a skit on a "saw-horse" and have kind of a Monte Python thing going on. Or you and your friend could just play with a seesaw. :p

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  13. Snoetje

Or comb someone's hair with it. The spiky things look a bit like a comb. A bit.

14. Guardsman

Guardsman New Member

You could. I'd be entertained by that. Everyone knows clowns have fantastic hair. So why not let them do yours? XD

15. Snoetje

A lumberjack who uses the saw as tool for everything. Because...all he need is that! So, next to sawing a tree also to kill a stuffed animal and slice his meat into pieces. And as car. And as bed. Or as wife...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Guardsman

Guardsman New Member

The possibilities are endless. Maybe instead of a sword fish it can be a saw-fish. Or maybe you can come up with some cheesy past tense joke where you "saw something" :p