1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What props have you made?

Discussion in 'Variety and Street Performance' started by stretchetheclown, Aug 29, 2011.

1. I am currently working with homemade juggling balls (balloons and playdoh), and flowersticks (tent pole, bicycle inner tube, electrical tape, and dowel), and, of course, my costume. Other than that, I have had to buy most of my other props. I have juggling knives, but am looking at torches, and was wondering 2 things:

1. what have you made that was very cost effective (and how)?

2. any ideas on making properly weighted juggling torches? anything else fire (or at least has the illusion of danger) for juggling that can be homemade?

2. JOZO

JOZO New Member

your better off buying torches because if one is balanced wrong but the same weight some thing could go wrong.

3. Thanks for replying! :) I have ideas on how to keep the balance.

What other types of props have people made?

4. kry10

kry10 New Member

Only item I have made so far is a roll on table for performing.

I plan on making a mental epic trick and a production box, doctor who themed.

5. JOZO

JOZO New Member

I've made a rola Bola, pizza, bubble gum box, stick of gum, and as few more that i can think of right now

6. JOZO

JOZO New Member

and i am curently making an ipad
    i can make more if anyone want one just send me a message

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  7. So I made my juggling torches out of golf clubs... they work like a dream. Love home made props :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Jozo, can you show us photos? I would be interested in seeing your gum. I need to make some but I'm not terribly handy and need inspiration. This doesn't involve expanding foam insulation, does it?

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  9. JOZO

JOZO New Member

No expanding foam pickles
    I could make one for you if you want

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

Binoculars made out of Pringles cans, and glasses made just by taking out the lenses of the clown sunglasses for the Getting Focused theme. (idea from Christopher Clown).

Attached Files:

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Currently I am working on making an old style candlestick phone.

After many unsuccessful attempts I have decided on an new attempt that may work out for many types of props. I am using cardboard, and the basic idea is to think of the object you wish to replicate as being divided into either vertical or horizontal slices and then glued together into the desired shape. I will try to provide photos if possible.

12. Plywood

Plywood New Member

Please do, Pookie. I can't envision it at all!

13. scottgrimaldi

scottgrimaldi New Member

I tried one of Frosty's liquid latex props. It's a sledgehammer. It's very anti-crush in performance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. camperclown

camperclown New Member

I have made a "auto self inflate balloon" that is an old gag of Neil Foster, and difficult to find, put a round balloon or 260 in your left hand and blow a thumb of your right hand...the balloon magically auto inflate from you fingers...i love this effect

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

I Googled it and of course it is out of stock and Woooah at $146 for baking soda and vinegar that is some expensive kitchen magic. If it is done some other way then O.K. my hat's off to you.
    Sara K.

16. camperclown

camperclown New Member

Ciao Sara, I dont use baking soda and winegar, but i have build a sistem with mini air compressor wich pump air in a gimmick mini tube and it work well

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Special K'z

Well that is pretty neat you can build one small enough to palm. Cute effect. Now I got a project for my dear hubby. :)
    Sara K.

18. camperclown

camperclown New Member

Thanks -48- you suggest a great idea, i spent hours to build the gimmick with the compressor, but this metod is quick, fast and simply :applause:;)

19. Special K'z

Good idea 48. I move a lot in my costume. I've tried wearing powder rigs and I've found it a little difficult to secure even when I've sewed it to my costume/wig. I would have to play around with placement and of course you would need long sleeves. I probably would have to strip out of it after the show, depending upon how easy it would be to operate the floor pump with it on. I often go into balloons right after the show. I usually just duck into my car and change wigs, but may have to take a longer break to get out of multiple apparatuses under costumes. But it is a cheaper solution. Thanks.
    Sara K.

20. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

Niiice. :)
    I made a crown for my bird. And I'm going to make a tiny chair for my tiny little stage mate. :p