1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Best Magazine/s to advertise in Los Angeles, CA?

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Yanko, May 7, 2015.

1. Yanko

Yanko New Member

I'm planning on moving back to California soon and I would like to hear your suggestions for great magazines to advertise in around the LA and/or OC areas. I do my shows in either English or Spanish, so magazines in either language would be helpful.

Ones that i already know about:
    Pennysaver (english)
    Azteca (spanish)

I haven't lived in LA in a few years, so I'm sure things have changed in this area. I appreciate the input!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. V

V Well-Known Member

Unless you get a digital copy of your in print version, I'm not sure of the return on print advertisement. I'd think you would get more return looking into parent oriented groups, blogs, and organizations like Macaroni Kid, Plaid Dad Blog, etc. I can't remember the last time I even held a print magazine outside of a Doctor's office.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I don't know that print advertising works.... not that I have tried it myself, but like V, I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a print ad that made me do anything.

Get a website and do whatever you can to book a few community shows to kick things off. Find other entertainers in the area where you are moving and let them know you are coming and hope to be able to network. (Hopefully, you are the kind who likes to share with others.)

There are hundreds of groups on facebook. I joined several related to my community and the local schools. While I try not to make too many posts that would be considered spam, I watch for people asking about birthday parties and from time to time post about upcoming or recently passed events.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Yanko

Yanko New Member

I'll look into that, thanks guys.

Toony: I am all for networking, but most other full-time entertainers who consider themselves competition tend to not be very helpful, especially in a highly populated area like Los Angeles, CA.

About 10 years ago, I used to advertise on print ads over there, and it went very well. I just haven't been around the area for a while, so I wasn't sure which ones were most popular, but what you guys say makes sense. I don't think it would hurt to do so though, as I'm sure many older "old-fashioned" folks tend to browse those more frequently than the web.

Still hoping for some suggestions from any local Californians. If you guys know any, please refer them to this page :D thanks!

5. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

I was thinking maybe advertising in some local regional newspapers or those coupon magazines. And well places like craigslist and yelp.

How much area do you want to cover?

6. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

The older generation are now the grandparents. While grandma does sometimes hire the entertainer for the parties, usually it is mom and dad. Most parents with a 5-year-old are under the age of 40 and have been using computers at school and work long enough to have ditched print media.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. V

V Well-Known Member

Theater screen advertisements reach a lot of people as well. You can get them cheaper from independent theaters as opposed to chains most often. Not sure how your mom & pop theaters are fairing in larger markets like LA (likely not well), but it may be worth looking into as well.

Unless you're crazy busy - chain theater advertisers (unique screen media, etc) likely won't pay off but it doesn't hurt to get a quote.

8. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

The Pennysaver went out of business last month.

9. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

In Chicago, some entertainers do advertise in Chicago Parent Magazine, and find it productive. I don't know if there are similar publications in L.A.

10. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member