1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Bicycle

Discussion in 'Clown Classifieds' started by V, Jun 18, 2014.

1. V

V Well-Known Member

For sale - $1200 local pick up in North Carolina. I may be able to meet potential Virginia buyers in/around Wythe County Virginia.

Vintage Ordinary ('high Wheel' 'Penny Farthing') Bicycle. Great condition and ridden several times a week (~40 miles/week) and maintained by a local bicycle museum/shop.

Price includes bicycle, working carbide lamp (circa 1900), and an extra tire rubber for the 52" front tire for when it needs replacing. The current tire has a lot of miles left on it, I'd just ordered a second one for a presentation @ the local bicycle museum on how it was done using original pre 1900 tools.

Photos included. Will consider shipping but be warned that the bicycle must be shipped by freight and this will potentially add several hundred dollars to the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

While I would love to have such a wonderful bike, the price tag puts it out of my budget. I am sure it would be a great addition to any clown's collection. It would be a lot of fun in parades.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. V

V Well-Known Member

Bicycle has been sold - Thanks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Kiki

Kiki New Member

love this!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

It is a lovely contraption but what would you do with it? How do you clown on such a thing? You master how to ride the thing without being (much of) a danger to yourself and others, then what? How do you perform on such a thing?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. V

V Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm a history guy and a bicycle guy and didn't use this when performing. This was one of my daily bikes that I rode simply to ride. My selling of it was to upgrade to a 56" or 60" front wheel (for Wheelmen races) and to have a few extra bucks to take my kid to Legoland.

Admittedly, I advertised it here in case the local bicycle crowd tried to haggle me down to an unreasonable price; which they thankfully didn't. I'm glad it went to a bicycle enthusiast that will ride it regularly, instead of 3 or 4 times a year during a parade.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

True! But it would sure look cool in my clown room!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. V

V Well-Known Member

A better parade ride would be an old Ingo bike. The motion that propels that bike has some humor to many people and they're relatively rare; only being produced for a few years 1934-1937.
    Even the late, great Curly Howard rode one in 'Yes, We Have No Bonanza' in 1939.

Just so happens, I have one to sell - great condition. $1750.00

9. V

V Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  10. V

V Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. V

V Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Matching ordinary bicycles. Good rideable condition, unknown manufacturer. I may have extra tire rubber laying around to include. 52" & 42" front wheels.

$2,000 takes the pair.

12. V

V Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

48" ordinary. Daily rider. $1,600 to a good home..

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. RandyMagic

RandyMagic New Member

Amazing history behind this cycle. Had a look at the Miller family pic after a long time. You were lucky to have this one with you. A treat for a performer.

14. V

V Well-Known Member

Everything above this post has been sold or bartered. More bicycles coming eventually (or inquire if you have a bike in mind).

Thanks.

15. V

V Well-Known Member

I'm reacquiring this bicycle in the next couple of weeks and it may be available for purchase on or around the first of June (undecided, I may keep it for an art bike conversion). Anyone?

16. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Giant Rideable T-Rex Art Bike - $2000 (Eugene)
    http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bik/5072609529.html

Presenting your chance to be the proud owner of the only dinosaur skeleton that has been reanimated through the mysteries of science and technology. She is a beautiful fosillized juvenile Tyrannosaurus Rex who now consents for me to harness and ride her in parades and other special events. She's a bit difficult to handle, but she's never attacked anyone in the crowds that form whenever I take her out of the warehouse where she lives. (unlike her cousin from Jurassic Park) I labored for many months on this act of creation but now find that I'm not the right rider for this beautiful creature.

This wonderful rideable dinosaur, this fulfilment of my childhood dreams, needs to go to someone who likes being the center of attention, likes making the news whenever they're out in public, and likes inspiring joy and wonder in the faces of children. I'm just a quiet engineer and bicycle fabricator and am not interested in celebrity.

Specs:
    -12ft long from head to tail, 5.5ft wide stance, 8.5ft tall (size of a 12 year old young-adult T-Rex)

-90lb recumbent tricycle made from chromoly steel, foam, and textured paint (200lb rider weight limit)

-9-speed wide-range drivetrain with a top speed of about 15mph (comfortable cruising speed of about 7mph)

-Seat is ~5ft off the ground so use a step ladder, or if you have good balance, use foot and hand holds hidden along the left side of her body.

-Head is a marionette that turns side to side and opens her jaw; controlled by wire from handlebars

-Arms are attached to pedals and can be controlled in combination with head to create believable performances (Sue can answer questions, wave at audience, snap her jaws in excitement, disgust, hunger, etc.)

-Disassembles using basic tools into multiple pieces to fit within a pick-up truck bed for easy(er) transport to events

Caveats:

-Sue requires frequent touch-ups to her paint and foam. There are always bits of the sculpture rubbing against one another because she is a moving, kinetic, scultpure. I will include a bucket of textured paint with her.

-Sue has handling quirks because of the geometry tricks and illusions I had to pull to make a vehicle that seemed to have the proportions of a real dinosaur. She is not a daily-driver dinosaur but is perfect for parades or the playa. She has good brakes and is stable enough if you know her limits. I'd be happy to offer dino riding lessons to prospective buyers. Please don't call just for joy-rides...

17. V

V Well-Known Member

It's a long shot I know, but...

Does anyone happen to have a 1948-1951 Schwinn DX laying around they'd be willing to sell or trade?