1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unicyclists

Discussion in 'Variety and Street Performance' started by LarryTheClown, Jul 15, 2015.

1. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

Unicyclists... Are there any out there? Where are some good resources for a beginner like me?

2. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

Loopy knows about them. He's been learning to ride for few months now.

3. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

I bought a red Torker LX 20in from Amazon for 129$ and I used Coach Bobs Unicycle video.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. LarryTheClown

Sweet! I have a red Torker as well.

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I learned on a 24 inch Unicycle a few years back by joining a local youth unicycle troupe that offered lessons. Mostly, they said to "keep trying" and provided access to a gym to practice. The surfaces in the gym were much softer than riding outside. The floor was flat, smooth, and had walls. I did the outdoor work in a school playground/parking lot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. ToonUp

ToonUp Member

I've been riding a 20 inch for almost a year now. I'm tall and ambitious, so I got a 36 inch as well. It's terrifying. I think I should get a size in between at some point.

My primary practice area is a bike path that has a long and tall fence beside it. When I was learning to just get on them and go, this area was perfect. As I got better, I would keep riding down the path to the park. I still wear helmet and safety gear when I ride the 36 inch.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. LarryTheClown

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been trying to ride in an empty parking lot and maybe get one full rotation in before I spill. I think it's mostly mental, though. The second I start thinking I'm out of control, I hit the ground.

Any suggestions about avoiding the pedals from smacking into your ankles when you fall off? :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I believe the larger wheel sizes are for speed and distance. One revolution of the 36 inch diameter wheel goes twice the distance as the 20 inch week. The smaller wheels are supposed to be better for tricks.

I found that using a wall, fench, or car was OK to help getting on the unicycle, but try to ride away from it instead of along side. If you get used to having that support you will lean towards that side and tip over.

It is important to eventually learn how to mount a unicycle without any supports. If you always need to run back to a curb, wall, or helper to get on, you will never be able to do parades. Parades were my goal, but I quickly learned the speed of a parade makes riding a unicycle harder unless you get really good at riding in circles, racing up and down hills and avoiding pot holes. I know people who do it, but I didn't have the time or dedication to keep practicing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. V

V Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. LarryTheClown

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. V

V Well-Known Member

A friend who is an amazing unicyclist swears that a person should never pay more than $5-10 for a unicycle (unless you're getting a specialty unicycle) because they're easy to find for free in good condition. I've never tried in earnest because I have zero interest in a unicycle (so many better cycling choices!) but he has dozens of unicycles so I'm apt to buy into his theory..

12. LarryTheClown

Man, I wish I had his connections! I personally can't find any for under $60 on either eBay or Craigslist.

13. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

My unicycle looks like this...........and don't be fooled........those wheels on the back aren't as stable as they look..........it's def not a tricycle.........hubby thought I was going to break my neck, so he put it in the rafters in the garage........but I'm not done with it yet! I shall overcome!

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Custard

Custard New Member

I learned to ride a unicycle back around 2000. I really wish I had someone who knew how to ride to teach me then!

The coach bob video is actually really good. The thing I've found with unicyclists in the circus world though is that very few can ride well, because it takes around 15 hours to get up and ride it but it takes ALOT longer to do it well and with some semblance of grace. Once you are able to mount and ride around without assistance it gets to the point where no one can teach you anything apart from tricks. To ride a unicycle gracefully just takes time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1