1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncle Sam Wants YOU to help transcribe Phyllis Diller's gag file

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by The Princess of Bozonia, Apr 7, 2017.

1. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

The Smithsonian has put out a call for help transcribing the contents of Phyllis Diller's enormous indexed collection of jokes. Over her 50 year career, she wrote (and collected, and sometimes bought) over 52,000 jokes, each carefully typewritten on an index card, labeled with the source, and indexed alphabetically by subject. The collection was donated to the Smithsonian (along with her various props, costumes, scripts, photographs, etc.) and digitized to be made available to researchers. More information about the project available here:

https://transcription.si.edu/phyllis-diller-cards

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Do we get to use the jokes?

3. The Princess of Bozonia

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. The Princess of Bozonia

I mean, if you're okay with Zombie Phyllis Diller rising up from the grave and coming after you.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  5. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

The Smithsonian Institute was established in 1846 "for the increase and diffusion of knowledge". It is owned by the Federal Government which I assume means every American citizen, has a stake in it. Since you own these jokes Tim, I expect you to exercise your rights and give me one new joke every day, for the next 142 years. In return I shall share with you some, I am pretty sure Phyllis wouldn't have wanted associated with any part of her archive.

• Thanks Thanks x 1