1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to find the bowling ball trick

Discussion in 'Magic' started by Axle the Clown, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Axle the Clown

Axle the Clown New Member

i have seen this trick so much online...im wondering if anyone knows where i can buy it or how much it would be also...its a bowling that is drawn on a giant sketch pad and the flipped on side...and the ball falls from the book....anyone know where i can get it??

2. V

V Well-Known Member

This is a Kevin James illusion. Runs around a grand or so. Can be replicated via a body load. Andrew Mayne has a version that's looks just as good but produces a bowling ball from a bag instead of a sketch pad and can be made for about $2. If you don't mind buying knock-off products, Andy Magic International sells (or use to) a version very similar to Kevin Jame's illusion. I've never bough from Andy magic so cannot comment on quality or shipping (Chinese origin I believe).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. You will be paying SOOOO much for that trick. It's really expensive. I dont even use it anymore. Im lucky I sold mine. I only lost about 100 bucks off what I bought it for.
    you can find them for like 500.

4. V

V Well-Known Member

This is one of those tricks that looks amazing but isn't that practical (for me anyway) to perform. Most of my magic is close up stuff and when I do pull out stage stuff, I do a character show (insult/comedy magic) so I never bothered much with it as a collector or prop maker; however, due to having a lot of free time whilst waiting for a back to heal, I've found myself rewatching old magic shows and youtube clips and felt this was worth a revisit.

What I've found is that it's irritating that it's taken this long to work this trick out. Actually, I'll amend that. It's irritating that it's taken so long to get a working version of this trick. I won't drop $700 on Kevin James' version to validate the method, but this trick is certainly craft-able for around $20, pending you can find a bowling ball at a thrift shop. Goodwill sells them here for around $5. My largest expense was actually the large sized art pad that runs around $12. If you can't find a thrift store ball, you're looking at an expense of $30-50 for a new ball. I'd try a local bowling alley first as you can usually find someone willing to sell a used bowling ball on the cheap. I'd get a relatively light ball and don't recommend dropping a 16lb ball from this gimmick.

It's much like P&T's Miser's Dream fishbowl trick in that it's so simple that the obvious guess doesn't get mentioned because nobody believes the solution could be as stupidly simple as it really is. Anyone wanting to do this trick - I suggest you spend some time just watching to video over-and-over. The move that tells you the answer will eventually show itself to you...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. V

V Well-Known Member

Revisiting this...

I still haven't (and won't) buy Kevin James version of this because the price is still stupid on it (and I have a working, tested version) and still don't know that this is any more impressive than Andrew Mayne's ball from a paper bag. By comparison, KJ still has this at around $1000 and Andrew shows how to do his version on a DvD that is less than $20. The problem with both of them...? The 'why' behind it. Why produce a bowling ball other than for the effect? Bowling Ball productions have been around for a very long time in one form or another (brief case, bag, etc) and they've never been practical. That being said, almost all of the effects have a brief 'wow' moment.

I've made a few versions of the note pad production in various sizes and have had some luck with them outside of bowling ball applications - producing birthday presents for the birthday kid and such. An idea over at the cafe was to produce a pinata out of the big pad that's loaded with oranges (which can then be loaded with signed bills/cards) which I thought was okay. I guess as long as you produce anything big and unexpected you can get results from most audiences.

The OP seems to be long gone from the forum here so I'm not sure how much help this is. I'm just doing some rearranging and organizing props this week - inventory and all, and thought I'd share more thoughts on this. Save your cash and buy something better if you're considering this production. I can think of dozens of effects or routine that are better than this that cost a fraction of the price without putting any effort into making a list.

6. Noah

Noah New Member

V how did you make your specifically? Going to perform a comedic version but dont want to spend over $700 on a 45 second trick.

7. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

The first time you ever see it, it's an amazing eye popping stunt. But when watched again and again the magic disappears and the mechanics become evident. Look at a few Youtube clips a few times and think about how it's done. Then think about how you can replicate it. You don't need step by step instructions for this one and if you do, you are probably not the kind of person to be performing it.