1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a new look, inviting opinions...

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by WillyNilly, Feb 14, 2017.

1. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi All: Since my last photo, there has been increased facial follicle-ular activity, and am experimenting with a new look. I'm leaning toward the pirate-ular direction and would like opinions on various test makeups. I plan to utilize my natural hair, tri-corner pirate hat, red jacket with black and gold trim. Auguste would be more practical, but I'm leaning toward whiteface. The big hangup is the beard. Demo makeups done with Snazzaroo face paint for quick turnaround, not the normal Ben Nye, so don't mind the quality, I'm looking for design. I may or may not use my Pro nose. I welcome objective opinions and comments, but I realize I'm asking a bunch of clowns, so lets see what happens...
    WIN_20170212_19_26_19_ProA.jpg WIN_20170212_20_05_28_ProB.jpg WIN_20170212_20_09_02_ProC.jpg WIN_20170212_20_11_09_ProD.jpg WIN_20170212_20_25_46_ProE.jpg WIN_20170212_20_27_30_ProF.jpg

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is just me, but these all look blurry/pixelated which makes it harder to review properly.

My impression is they are all too much makeup. I would go for something simpler with the beard. I would approach a pirate character more like a hobo, since a pirate spends a lot of time in the sun and doesn't exactly have access to a shower/bath tub.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I really like the white highlights in #3, and it looks the most friendly.

Though I also like the last one, even if it does look a little like Captain Spaulding from the Rob Zombie movies.

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Thanks Sir Toony and Larry:

The beard is definitely a trouble spot, so I tried a few more, including a pseudo tramp suggested by Sir Toony. It's not real good because it's hard to blend and fade facepaint like greasepaint.

WN WIN_20170213_21_08_04_ProG.jpg WIN_20170213_21_23_52_ProH.jpg WIN_20170213_22_15_17_ProI.jpg

5. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Well...from the original photos, #1 & #3 do intrigue me.

Not sure how piratey #1 is, however. It seems more friendly. The range of coloration in 3 is what appeals to me.

That said....too much blue. It does sort of offset balance interestingly in #2 from the second set. But the ultimate contrast just doesn't blend.

To that end, I'd suggest that #2 from the original set gets at the best idea better, incorporating a naturalistic look that starts with the beard, and builds from there. Generally, if one is going to have facial hair with a character face, I think that less is more in makeup.

6. tim

Also, this sort of character could be a solid argument for a different color nose than red.

7. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I would say that the third design in the new set is the one I like the most. I would want to see the completed character with outfit to know for sure what else I might change.

8. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Still working on the design, maybe "Piratey" is not the way to go, perhaps another type of character. My persona as a classic whiteface, wants to project an aura of authority, while remaining visually "friendly". I was hoping to pull that off as a pirate captain. Clowns in my alley have lost work because of the scary clown thing and I want people to see a happy friendly clown rather than a darker face tramp or hobo type. I tried a red phase, then a character, see what you think. I'm pretty set on the eyes, as this configuration moves well and is very expressive. The beard is the stumbling block, and I'd hate to have to shave to get a gig.

There seem to be people looking at this thread, I would invite more opinions. don't be shy, there are no wrong answers.
    WIN_20170215_20_23_29_ProJ.jpg WIN_20170215_20_36_51_ProK.jpg WIN_20170215_21_23_37_ProL.jpg WIN_20170215_22_16_19_ProM.jpg

9. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I'd go with #2 from this batch. The red beard is a nice touch!

10. Sir Toony Van Dukes

The one with the teeth made me laugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Getting closer...I think Willy will be the whiteface, only with a yellow tie (vest is blue), Pirate Capt. Willy Mc Nilly will be either black beard or white beard . Should have hats by mid week, will post best guess at the moment. That's why my clown name is Willy Nilly, I can't decide on anything... Sir Toony: I was watching your videos from MACA convention, you have quite a few looks....How many in all? WIN_20170218_19_51_58_ProO.jpg WIN_20170219_20_23_10_ProP.jpg WIN_20170220_20_30_37_Pro (2).jpg

12. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Ya know that there's 117 people looking at this with 2 respondents. Come on people throw me a bone....

13. tim

The red beard just seems harsh to me. Though, once you add the wig, the overall look ain't bad. I'd like to see the most recent auguste with the wig, for comparison. I like the beard integration better with that.

I concur that the one with the teeth, instinctively, made me laugh.

14. tim

As far as character....It's how you play it. One need not necessarily be a white face to be the authoritarian in charge. With my classic auguste face, for instance, I can be a confused goof or a pushy boss, easily. It's just in how I choose to act.

15. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I have said this before, the average person does not know the classic clown types or differences. A clown is just a clown and it doesn't matter if their makeup is white or auguste.

Not sure which video you were watching. I have posted many and have several from last year that never were shared... I really need to get on those. While, I know it is good to have a consistent look and make it your brand image, I change with the season and event. I like the whiteface look best, but find it harder to do on the hot summer days. If I am at a convention or doing a parade, I play around with new ideas since I don't have a customer who has expectations of how I should look for their event.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I asked a bunch of clowns for a bone. I deserved that.

Thanks, Sir Toony, that is a point of view I had not considered.

WN