1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Whiteface - To Be or Not to Be....

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by sillydaddyatl, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Bro

Bro New Member

If you want to go whiteface, go whiteface. It sounds like it's what you feel most comfortable as, so that's all the reason you need right there.

I'd love to go whiteface but I've not got the facial structure for it so... If if fits, looks good and you're happy with it then job done.

Also it's just a foul lie about whiteface taking more time than auguste makeup: the whiteface tends to be more minimal and requires considerably less blending than an auguste face. The whitefaces I work with tend to get their makeup done in half the time it takes me to do mine.

2. Yin Yang

Yin Yang Active Member

3. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

4. The NORMAL One

There is something to think about is age. The older you get the more wrinkles you will get on your face. It gets hard to make sure the white covers all. I found more older clowns will go to auguste . Just something to think about

5. I've always wanted to know, why isn't white face as popular now as it once was? To me I'm a bit sadden by that.

6. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

some of the horror movie clowns like IT and killer clowns and even the crap movies other film makers put out scared the parents a lot and prefer to see non white is my guess. I still do while when i feel nostalgic but always go back to august

7. I really hate how those movies misrepresented us white face clowns....ughhh!

8. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I think there are several factors the prevent people from trying a whiteface clown makeup. Some have been told that kids are afraid of clowns who wear a lot of makeup, others have been told that too many wrinkles makes the white makeup harder to do, others want to go with whatever is quickest to do. Many people don't know how to design a clown face from scratch and many of the "instructors" I have seen helping with makeup automatically think in terms of Auguste or Lite Auguste makeup.

I have seen many senior citizens look good as a whiteface clown, so it can be done, even when you get old.
    In my opinion, a whiteface clown can look friendlier than the traditional Auguste makeup, it is softer since it doesn't have the division of colors and bold lines between flesh and white.
    Doing a whiteface makeup can be faster than auguste. With only one base color to apply and no edges around the mouth and eyes to worry about.

The biggest downside for whiteface is the fact it looks best if you cover all exposed skin with makeup. That means covering neck and ears and wearing long sleeves and pants. An Auguste can get away with wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt on a hot summer day.

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. Squirty

Squirty New Member

I picked Auguste because the white face is supposed to be more of the straight man and I'd rather be the punchline. Not that it really matters that much to me, as long as I can get a laugh. White face does look easier to do than what I'm doing.

10. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

There is such a thing as a "comic whiteface." Sort of an in between degree. Just as there is a contra-auguste. Whitefaces come in all kinds. Neat, grotesque, new/modern... even esoteric or highly fanciful.

11. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

While tradition might define characteristics of a whiteface and an Auguste clown, I don't think the average person knows the difference. I say, do what you want to do and feel the most comfortable with. If you want to be a serious Auguste or goofy whiteface, then do that. The only place it might even remotely matter is at a clown convention.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. This is EXCELLENT insight. Thank you so much. I'm bias to white face, given that's what I prefer to be myself, however I totally agree with everything you said about the advantages and disadvantages between the two. Thanks!

13. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Your clown face is a direct reflection of your clown character. Be what you want to be, there are no rules. ( I guess except "keep your clothes on") It also depends on what you want to do as a clown. When I was going to Clownfest's, back when they had them, the trend was toward a lighter "European Clown" look. This may be good for party clowns and up close interaction, but I was an Industrial Clown. I did walk arounds at picnics, entertained at Pocono Raceway, firemans carnivals, Easter egg hunts, and the like. People could pick me out 100 yards away.Base your look on how you want to present your character. Also, never stop experimenting. when you have an idea, jot it down and try it out when you can. Have fun with it.
    WN

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

Agreed.

I guess I posed this question about a year and a half ago. Since then I've only clowned a few times, but it was always as a whiteface and I have never had an issue. Instead I get lots of smiles, picture requests, and encouragement from other clowns. I think makeup design can impact how friendly you appear, but I'm not sure how much the choice of whiteface/auguste/tramp/hobo/character/whatever ultimately matters in that.

15. You all are the best! Thank you!

16. tim

You, obviously, never saw the naked clown calendar.

17. The NORMAL One

Your face is an verry important part of your clown. I started out as a strict white face it just did not work real well for me. My friends in clown alley did a make over on me. They made it a simple face that work well for my clown. Keeping it simple has lot of benefits to it. I think the best thing I have learn is as my clown grows, develope it inportant to remember it is a work in progress and do not be afraid to adapt and change.

18. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Yes Tim, you are correct. I have never seen the naked clown calendar. I'm not sure if I really want to at this point.

19. tim

At least they're not all eighty!

20. Eleganza

Eleganza New Member

I used to lean towards the Auguste look, but I like whiteface now.