1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Pennywise

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by LarryTheClown, Jul 13, 2016.

1. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

2. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

He's gonna be bad for business, Larry..........I'm still getting fall out from the first movie that was about a gazillion years ago.........

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Curly Frye

Curly Frye Member

Me too.

4. V

V Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this adaptation. Like all reboots, I'm not certain it'll come close to the original but who knows. It'll be tough to top Tim Curry - I thought he was perfect in his role.

I guess I don't understand the blame game for business. Pennywise, Killer Klownz, and more recently - 'creepy clown phenomenon.' I can't see a connection to characters of horror fiction (or whatever prank, promotion, etc) and a working professional. There was a couple recently in the paper here claiming the 'creepy clown' sightings of late have caused them to lose bookings and go out of business - again, I'd like to see their pre-creepy clown books and their post-creepy clown books to see what the genuine impact has been. It's easy, when you're not getting bookings, to sit back and blame all of these various things, but I'm skeptical on it being fact based. I'd like to know how many bookings, repeat business especially as I think that's a good benchmark in measuring success all around (you happy, client happy, patrons happy generally) has truly been lost via these random characters. If you've let a repeat booking become lost because of some 'spooky' clowns - in life, book, or film - I'd wager there were other factors involved.

I said all that to say this - I call shenanigans on scary clowns having a real impact on our entertainment business. Proof is in the pudding and all that - show me, factually, where it has happened and I may come around. I still swear there are scarier looking clowns on this forum than in any horror movie (or vacant lot) I've ever seen...

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I am sad to say that I have questioned the images of several clowns who responded to the media about the current creepy mask stories. I realize that some of the news outlets contact people and want to do a story right away giving little time to do makeup and get ready, but I do feel the rush job might hurt our images too. I don't know if that is what happened with Wendy....

6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Well, I laughed.

7. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I imagine that's just her regular make-up job. (Lord knows I've run into many who have done just as bad jobs in real life.) Like... she could've probably submitted a publicity photo, which I imagine she has on had somewhere for when people hire her....

There's also the possibility that the newspaper deliberate chose someone who had an awful make-up job. I recently went to a seminar with a lawyer who briefed us on how to deal with reporters for whatever reason. And his advice: don't. All they want from you is a sound bite, one that will sell newspapers. Your best response is almost always, "No comment." I suspect they chose Wendy to interview because, well, she looks creepy, and that's going to sell papers (or get links to their site in this modern online world).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Boogle

Boogle Active Member

I have known many people with a phobia of traditional clowns who are not at all affected by "horror" clowns, perhaps more than people who are afraid of intentionally creepy clowns. I was one of those people with a phobia of traditional clowns, myself. I could watch Killer Klowns as a child but up until about 10 years ago, couldn't stand the thought of clowns that are happy, cheerful and seemingly-innocent. For me personally, before my phobia turned to fascination and adoration, I think my fear existed because you just never know what kind of person could be hiding behind a clown's happy face paint. With blatantly "evil" clowns, at least you get what you paid for, you know? idk just my thoughts on the matter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

But is that a fear of clown or a fear of mask?

10. He looks cool I was a fan of the old movie & love all those evil clown movies & Games. I hate to say it but there are far too many in our business that wine & think we should be treated different & are always yelling "It's Bad for our business it's bad for our business" I been in this business for 11 years years the spooky clown image is not bad for our business if it was it would have ended before i had the chance to become a clown my self. every time a clown says costumes games or movies are bad for a business I roll my eyes.