1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switching to Auguste - Opinions on New Face

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by AMagicClown, May 15, 2017.

1. AMagicClown

AMagicClown New Member

I've been a White Face for many years and now I'm creating a new character as an Auguste Face Clown.

I'm just looking for opinions outside my usual circle on what you think about my new face. What you like or don't like. What I should change or keep.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

It looks like a good start. Everyone has their own opinion about what they like and dislike, so consider any comment as just one person's point of view. Create the clown character that you like. Unless you plan to compete at a convention, there are no right and wrong ways to look.

Did you use a flesh tone base? I see the pink, but not sure what it covers beyond the cheeks. No sure I like the pink. I would go with either all pink or all flesh tone.

I would consider a smaller lower lip. I usually just do the center section instead of the full width. I also feel the red makeup looks muted compared with the bright red on the nose.

The black outline round your eyes is hard to see. Not sure if it is a little on the grey side or could be thicker.

3. AMagicClown

AMagicClown New Member

Thank you for your input. I'm going to lower the white over the eyes, shorten the mouth & replace the pink with an auguste base with a little pink on the cheeks. I'll be doing this either tomorrow or Thursday. I'll post pics when I'm done.

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi Odd Ball:
    Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, so here's mine. I too am working on an Auguste face coming from Whiteface. I'm on the fence with pink too, and prefer bare skin to overuse of pink, red and I even tried purple, (wig is purple). Can't decide. Try a bunch of combinations, take photos, and review later. It's an evolution, you don't have to decide today (do you?). I must have taken several hundred photos and periodically review them (electrons are free) until I decide on what I want to do. Experiment, what do you have to loose?
    One thing I did realize is that if you use face paint to experiment, it's an awful lot easier to clean up and change things than if you use greasepant. That tip is my gift to you today.
    Good luck and I hope you find yourself sooner than later. Part of my journey is documented in my post "Time for a new look, inviting opinions" check it out, I stopped posting there due to negativity rather than creative constructive opinion. I should have known better that to ask a bunch of clowns....
    WN

5. AMagicClown

AMagicClown New Member

Hi WillyNilly,
    Thank you for your straight forward opinion. It's like a breath of fresh air.

The transformation to Auguste for me was not as painful as I thought it was going to be. I received some great advice from Rex Nolan, Priscilla Mooseburger & the great clowns at Fun World Clown Alley #288.

To sum up the great advice I received, for future readers of this thread, search the net for photos of Auguste clowns. Find what features you like and which ones work for your face structure. Don't worry about copying because you can only have so many different styles of Auguste's faces. Also, that feature will look different on you due to different facial structures. Find what features you like and work with it.

Here's what I look like now [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

You look like a clown.

I have never seen anyone put the black line below the nose. I am not sure it adds anything to the look.

This picture looks like you have some white below your eyes. In the older picture, it was just above the eyes. I think that above the eyes is a little cleaner looking.

I found pictures from my first year clowning and each time I did my makeup, I tried something a little different. If I liked the change, I did it again, if I didn't, I changed something else. Slowly my look evolved. Don't be afraid to change things.

7. AMagicClown

AMagicClown New Member

Thank you for your opinion Sir Toony. :)