1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stilts or Unicycle

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Flicker, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Flicker

Flicker New Member

Dose anyone use stilts or a unicycle? If so, do you use them in a skit? Or, do you use them in parades or carnivals? I have a chance of getting a unicycle real cheap. I'm just wanting to see how it will go with clowning.

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I took unicycle lessons for several months with the idea of riding in a parade. I got good enough that I could ride the distance of a parade, but found that parades move too slowly. I can't ride in small circles to go as slow as needed for a parade. Maybe with a few more months practice...

I haven't tried stilts, but it should be possible to "stand still." One of the clowns was on stilts for the Thanksgiving parade. Once she put them on, she didn't want to take them off, but we had an hour wait for the parade to begin... She needed tall stuff to sit on.

• Laugh Laugh x 3
  3. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

You should just ride the parade route three times past everyone else. By the third time, people will be asking, "Didn't we see him before?"

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  4. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Tim, funny you should suggest that... Last year, I saw the Unicycle lady do the parade route two times. It helped that the parade started and ended in the same place. The way they had the viewing stand set up at the beginning of the parade route, most groups raced down the street after leaving the viewing stand in an attempt to catch up to the group in front of them.

5. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Ride one side of the route up and the other side back.

6. joey the clown

joey the clown New Member

I do stilts and prefer the contracter type metal ones for parades as they're easier to stand still on. You still get tired doing a parade though. I found that having a car with you is good as when the parade stops you can sit on it. By next 4'th of july my goal is to be able to ride the Unibike. We should have Unicycle workout sessions Sir Toony.

7. Flicker

Flicker New Member

So the unicycle almost killed me. I watched my short life flash before my eyes. Now I am going to build a bike. One that steers from the front and the back. I may still try the stilt idea at some point.

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  8. SuitcaseSam

SuitcaseSam & his Ukulele

Hey Flick, I could see ya ridin' one of those old style tank bikes all decorated up like a fire truck...siren, hose and all.
    That would be way cool!

You could even find a small miniature toy dalmation to mount on the handlebars. LOL!

~Sam :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  9. Flicker

Flicker New Member

I have never heard of one of those. I tried to google it no luck. If you happen to see a pic of one please let me know how to find it.

10. LuvLee

LuvLee Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of our old pumper looking like a bike,,,,,I'm no artist so I
    can't draw one for you, but maybe my horses can.

• Groan Groan x 1
  11. Zeeppo

Zeeppo New Member

I use them both. I mostly use them in parade sitution. i occassionally use a unicycle on stage.

I have had little use for either are parties.

12. Dylan

Dylan New Member

I also do both and I have found that I use my stilts for festivals/grand openings with great effect. Both of these event types are all about visibility and the stilts provide this in spades.

I tend to unicycle parades and I always cary in my car all the time so I can call the person who hired me and they can have the kids outside so I can unicycle up carrying my prop suitcases. It makes a great entrance and allows me to show off that I can unicycle.

In parade situations I found that I am able to keep with the pace of the parade by just having a little controlled mayhem. If you can free mount(which is a must for parade unicycling) then you can fall off on purpose and make a show of falling all the way to the ground. I then get in an argument with my unicycle. Lots of gesticulating arms and pointed fingers. I then apologize to it, remount and continue on my way. This gets good laughs and makes for a great running gag as you sometimes only get a couple more feet before catching up to the crowd.

The last parade I unicycled I was one of the first people to do the route. I got done and had to waltz back to my car to collect my juggling stuff for the stage show I was doing at a festival connected to the parade. Once I got back to my car the firetrucks were just starting the route. I was able to hitch a ride on the back bumper of one of the trucks allowing me to have fun with the crowd by waving and pretending like I wasn't supposed to be on there.

I would suggest to anyone attempting to learn to unicycle to make sure that you have a buddy to challenge you as you learn. This way the two of you can learn together. It doesn't make you learn faster it just makes it more fun.

Oh and when you work on stilts have a plan for that one time you fall over... it sucks.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  13. LuvLee

LuvLee Well-Known Member

I know about the first fall,,,,ouch and it does suck. The buddy system is a good idea.
    My Dad made us stilts as kids and we had so much fun with them. I showed my kids how
    to use them and they in turn their kids,,,,OUCH, OUCH, OUCH,,,,no buddy system replaces the fall, but it sure does help and the laughs are great.
    Thanks for reminding me of those good old days, Dylan.

14. Flicker

Flicker New Member

We have a department near by that has a golf cart that is a fire truck. Its got everything. I have been trying to get my department to buy it for me since they don't use it any more. They don't want to sell it. They think that the clowns there will want to start up again in the next 10 years.

15. LuvLee

LuvLee Well-Known Member

I think they should share the fun for the sake of fire safety for the kids,,,,and in ten years, maybe it could go back to their station. Just a thought!

16. Flicker

Flicker New Member

I said the same thing....The "Red Tape" is too thick to cut.:mad:

17. Toby KID

Toby KID New Member

I do stilts and ride unicycle. I've never found either to be a very favorable parade tool form my style of presentation. Each are eye entertainment unto themselves and require skill (unicycle much more so). In 1982 I did all my parade on unicycle, about 6. And I road around the amusement park I clowned at each day. It kept me quit fit.
    What is the Unibike you mentioned?
    I get paid to be in parades so must search out ways to improve my presentation each season for the repeat buyers. I've posted on here about my parade "units". I've enjoyed many over the years and now have a wall full of funky vehicles to show for it.

18. LuvLee

LuvLee Well-Known Member

I have done many parades, tried the unicycle,,,Owe, and walked on stilts,,,,,,but none of
    this was in connection with clowning. I enjoyed watching the clowns in parades and also, at the rodeo,,,,,brave souls and that's NO bull. They have red capes, but not red tape.
    Make your own fire truck,,,,,that would be fun,,,,maybe others would join in and help you.
    Just another thought,,,

19. Glupi

Glupi Banned

I'm too clumsy for stilts, and too wide for a unicycle (and anyway, the ones that can hold me are too expensive. Actually, they're ALL too expensive, since I'm flat broke).

What I AM making, however, is a pair of "Romper Stompers"... anyone remember Romper Room from kids' TV? I know we had it here in the NY/NJ/Philly area. Anyways, "romper stompers" are basically just upside-down buckets with long rope loops through the holes where the handle would attach to the rim of the bucket. You stand on the bottom of the bucket and pull the handles taut and stomp around with them. They look very "kiddy" and clowny, esp when you're tall and roly-poly like me.

Now, I just have to find industrial buckets that are strong enough to hold me LOL.

I will post pics of them as soon as I get together with someone who has a working camera. Every attempt to take photos of me so far has broken the apparatus irreparably.

20. Glupi

Glupi Banned

Flicker, you should buy an adult tricycle and rig a fiberglass chassis over it to look like a fire truck, or just totally trick out the trike (tricked trike? trick-icle?) with a siren, lights and whatever else. Make it as fire-truck looking AND as goofy as possible.