1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socks under socks?

Discussion in 'Costumes' started by sillydaddyatl, Jun 23, 2016.

1. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

I have a question maybe some of you more experienced clowns can answer. I've seen some pictures and videos of clowns getting ready where they're putting on their clown socks over what look like regular socks. Does anyone here do this? What's the thinking behind it?

Thanks!

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Might be for a little extra padding for a long day on their feet? Easier to wash regular socks and the outer socks won't get as stinky?

3. Keekipoo

Keekipoo Active Member

Well, have you tried wearing regular socks on top of clown socks? They slide down into your shoe way faster that way, it gets uncomfortable, you have to use a hand to pull your sock up instead of whatever else you'd be doing, unless it's all down there and way uncomfortable, then you have to remove your shoe...if you can work a bit into that, then great! Or deal with it in your walk to the little clown's room....but then multiple trips don't really give too good of an impression, and straining through a slipped sock...

Regular sock under clown sock sounds like a great idea. :)

4. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I guess it might be time to ask what socks are the clowns wearing? Maybe I am just cheap, but I buy my socks at the sporting goods stores. Soccer, baseball, football, or whatever other sport they happen to be selling in primary colors or maybe neon. These are normal socks (OK, the soccer socks are designed for the shin guards).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I double-sock sometimes due to weather. Also clown shoes don't provide good arch support, so I'm guessing some people do it to get some padding.

I usually don't, though, especially not when the weather's hot.

6. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm generally trying to keep costume layers to a minimum.

7. TorontoBoy

TorontoBoy Active Member

I have black and white striped (mime style) "leggings", which look like socks without the foot part. I'll wear my regular socks in my shoes, but put the leggings over top. This makes your socks not as thick but you can change to top look as you wish.

I also have socks that have individual toes, which are very annoying. I think I'll resew all the toes shut, cut them off and make them into socks, or maybe leggings, so I can mix and match.

8. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

I do this sometimes. It just depends. If it's very hot, I will only wear the clown socks. I will wear my normal ankle socks under my clown socks most of the time for a couple of reasons. 1. It reduces the amount of sweat that gets to the socks, therefore reducing the amount of stink on them, and I can get a couple of wears out of them before washing them. 2. My toenails are less likely to create holes in them. Both of these boil down to getting more wear out of the socks before having to replace them. Clown socks are not that expensive in the grand scheme of costuming. In fact they're probably the cheapest part of my costume, but they also wear out the fastest of anything I wear. I'd still like for them to last as long as possible. It is also nice to provide an extra bit of cushion on your feet when standing or walking all day. I don't notice that much of a difference in heat when wearing ankle length socks under them as it's all inside my clown shoe anyway.

9. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

I like the idea of reduced stink and extra cushion. The shoes I'm using right now aren't the greatest so maybe I'll just give this a try next time I'm in costume.

10. Sir Toony Van Dukes

If you are wearing big, oversized clown shoes, wearing multiple pairs of socks shouldn't be an issue. I have some shoes that are a little snug. I notice the difference when I have on warmer winter socks vs something light in the summer. Wearing two pairs of socks might not always be practical for some shoes.

11. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

Sir Toony I am with you my socks came from sporting goods store. They are color soccer socks. They are very comperible.