1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So what does a party clown do?

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Zoodles, Jan 30, 2013.

1. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

The reality that I hear almost everyone talk about these days (actually for the last few years) is that parents most often would prefer to hire an entertainer sans clown. Perhaps some sort of costumed character (a pirate, for example) but not the entire traditional slap and motley.

Does that change the fact that the same performer will likely be doing a very similar (if not the exact same) show whether he is "in clown" or "in drab" (as a drag performer might put it)? No. You are still clowning (as a verb, rather than a noun, as Twister Mike put it recently in his class at the Spring Fling) no matter how you present.... full clown, character, just a simple stringed on with elastic red nose, or nothing more than your everyday self.

The question, then, is how it is marketed. Some may view the time taken to dress and make up as detracting from the other fun stuff at a party. While others may see it as a bonus.... a PART of the show which is essential, unique, and which one would not want to miss out upon.

Again, there are effective party clowns who just incorporate this sort of thing into their act. I know of another local performer who enters the party, claiming that he is "running late", and proceeds to put on his face in front of everyone, completing the transformation right there in their presence.

Likely, a lot of us would not feel comfortable doing this (or we would be concerned that it takes too much time.) For some performers, they need that set aside time and space to help them get into character, so that they can "hit the ground running." They don't feel right or funny without all the accoutrements. But I don't think that such individual reservations should exclude the potential of public transformation into clown. If nothing else, it can show the audience not to be afraid of this costumed character, for it isn't some strange beast - unhuman - but just someone like you and me, playing pretend, acting in essence, taking on a character for fun and performance. Indeed, this can be an invitation for them to, also, take on the playfulness and, perhaps, even try clowning out for themselves!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1