1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrinking hats

Discussion in 'Juggling' started by Poopsie, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Poopsie

Poopsie New Member

I ordered a Poll hat, which I love, but unfortunately am unable to wear comfortably because of my tiny head. I could send it back, but I kind of went through a whole thing already in the ordering process.

I can't find much information for this specific type of hat, so I figured I would ask this question here. What I want to know is if anybody has successfully resized this hat on their own without warping or soiling it, and how they managed to do that.

2. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

You got yourself a Poll Hat which means you're almost certainly, going to want to learn and perform hat manipulations at some point. Wear other hats underneath your Poll, which will make unexpected comedy appearances at some stage. I somtimes use a fez under a bowler and a dolls hat under the fez. Another costume employed a stovepipe hat, concealing a policeman's helmet. Multiple hats are great fun to perform with.

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  3. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Karen Bell recently posted here on the Forum. Message or email her and ask about your hat. She makes some manipulation hats, not like the Poll hats, but with her experience I'm sure she will have at least some idea.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

Ok Pinkie Bee is not such a smart at clown terms and such. what is a Poll hat??

5. Poopsie

Poopsie New Member

Yes, the reason for getting a poll hat was so I could learn how to juggle and manipulate it. But because it's large and doesn't sit comfortably over my brow, it might be more difficult to learn some of the tricks.

On the other hand, the size of the hat also exaggerates my very, very petite body type. And, I would be able to execute super cool gags like the one you just described. That fact makes it less upsetting that I just blew a huge wad of money on a hat that doesn't fit.

I'll contact Karen Bell, too, and see if i'm forever doomed to see nothing but wool.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

My Poll hat is also a bit over sized. At first, I found that frustrating. But with practice, I recognized that there is both a way to wear it (more back on the head/neck than straight atop) which will assist AND I can use the clumsiness of it to comic effect. If it keeps falling over my brow, this can be part of a running gag. (Just play with it... "Hey where'd everybody go? I can't see! I can't see!" while waving your arms around in front of you aimlessly, for example.) Though, admittedly, it can also make comfort and ease of wear a bit difficult.

You might want to contact whoever sold it to you and ask for ideas as to use or "tightening it up." I don't know whether you wear a wig or not, but this could also help fill out the space.

What I'd really recommend is attending a juggling festival sometime and talking to others about tips and pointers on both skill tricks and well as how to individualize its use for yourself.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel