1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shrine clown

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by stephster-noodle, Dec 16, 2008.

1. i don't know exactly if there is a thread for this or not but anyways...

my friend hubert said that in order to be a shrine clown you have to be a mason and to be a mason you have to be a guy.
    so i was just curious as to if girls can be shrine clowns?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. pixcoco

pixcoco New Member

Most places you have to be a guy. Some have a womans axilary (sp) but I wouldn't count on it.

Don't worry...Us girls are taking over the clown world. whhaaahh.

3. Jamz

Jamz Moderator

As far as I know women cannot be shrine clowns but they will have women help out with jobs at least around here it like that

4. =[
    this is just a little bit saddening to me.
    but i have a really cool shrine clown pin,
    it makes me happy!
    =]

5. we should make up a shrinnet circus full of lady clowns.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  6. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Maybe you will be comforted by the fact that the Shriners wouldn't let me be a clown either. To be a Mason you have to proclaim in the belief of a superior being. Actualy I thought the Shriners have recently started letting woman join.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. twiglet

twiglet Banned

If Masons have to proclaim their belief in women, they should at least let us join!

• Laugh Laugh x 12
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Welcome to the Forum Twiglet. Looks like you might just fit in around here real well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Nevada

Nevada New Member

Berry…. The Shriners have banned there membership to associate with me so I just work once a year for St Jude’s Children’s hospital… Remind me I will tell you about it later…..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  10. bugaboo the clown

bugaboo the clown New Member

That is how I got my start in clowning. I had to become a Master Mason fist....then had to petition to become a Shriner. And then finally I was interviewed and was voted in to become an apprentice clown with my unit.

There is a ladies auxiliary. But come circus time most Shrine units only allow the males to perform. What can ya do ladies? That's why I ventured outside of the Shrine clown box and kept my training going. I have to say I have learned more from some of the female clowns than any of the men. The shriners do a great things for kids in need. And that's why I continue to volunteer my time and craft.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  11. Smiley The Clown

Smiley The Clown Active Member

That is correct. You must be a Master Mason to join the Shrine. You used to be required to be a 32nd degree Mason, in both the Scottish and York Rites to petition for membership. Now, once you become a Master Mason, you can apply.

Once you're in, you can join Shrine Clubs or Units. I am a Shriner and I am a member of the YAARAB Shrine in Atlanta, Georgia. I am also a member ( and Secretary) of Sweetwater Shrine Club in Douglasville, Georgia. We have a clown unit called The Sweetwater Sidekicks.

Go here for pics: www.SweetwaterShrineClub.org

While, at this time, ladies cannot petition to be Masons or Shriners, our wives have an auxillary club called The Sweetwater Swirls and they do a LOT to support Sweetwater and our mission of helping the children. We are VERY proud of them!

While I'm talking about the Shrine, I was just elected President of The Clown Association for 2009. Our Shrine Circus will begin the last part of April and go for 10 days straight! If you're in the area, come on aout and see us!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

To be a shrinner you must be a mason, but they do offer other organizations, Eastern Star for women [must be married to a mason or be the daughter of a mason], Rainbow which is for girls 12-18, { I'm a former member, pass Grand rep for SC and VA, and Worthy advisor], Demalay [sp?] boys 12-18. while they do not allow participation in clowning they do encourage community involvement and civic duty, we did things to raise money for the Childrens hospital, United way and all sorts of things. Unfortunately membership dropped here and they no longer have the boys and girls groups.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. what if you know someone thats a mason and they are pretty much like a dad but not really your dad?
    does that count?

14. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

You should think yourself lucky Stephster-Noodle, al you need is a sex change. I need a miracle!

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  15. Harpoetta

Harpoetta New Member

My Dad's a 32nd degree Mason, Shriner and Shrine Clown. We do have a women's axillary and Eastern Star, but my Mom never joined either of them. We also have a group called Job's Daughters for the daughters and (I think) grand-daughters of Masons, but I'm not a fan of tea or dresses, so I opted not to join that.

You circus lasts for 10 days!?!?!? No Fair! Ours only lasts for 4, it's at the beginning of April.

16. Goofie

Goofie Active Member

Most Shrine Circuses are contracted (Hired by a local Shrine Org. to help raise money for Shrine Hospitals).

These Circuses companies can hire their own acts and most have professional clowns. These clowns can be male or female!

Shriners are not clowns. Shrine members form clubs and units to raise money. Most Shrine Org have clowns, mini cars, motorcycle but not all, all of these clubs/units help raise money for 100% free medical for kids.

Any organization can hire a Circus to come to your town. And you can name it after your organization like: Shrine Circus, Jaycee's Circus, or what ever Organization you may belong to.

100% Free Mediacl

[​IMG]
    www.shrinershq.org

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Ditchbug Smith

Ditchbug Smith New Member

There has been allot of good info here in this topic. This is how I got started in clownology. Being a Master Mason, I moved on to become a Shrine Clown and Have been appointed Director of Our unit "The Good Humor Gang".
    Ever since I have known the organization, Shriners has recognized the wives, just as important as the shriner. I still have much to learn, everyday is a learning experience. Expecially when a child who is less fortunate than we are, is carried up to you just to give you nose kisses( Rubbing of the nose) and has a big smile on their face, That is what keeps my clown spirit alive.
    This is why I got into Clowning, for all children, not only the little ones, but for the Big ones in the retirement homes as well.

Clown On,
    Ditch

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. twiglet

twiglet Banned

It it just me, or am I the only woman reading this thread and feeling like I'm in the movie Pleasantville? What year is this? The Shriners obviously do fine work, but I wouldn't want anything to do with an organization that allows watered-down participation privileges to "wives", and excludes all other females. I don't see how it serves the mission of the Shriners to exclude *anyone* who wants to help their community in a significant way.

Buy hey, I'm just a silly ol' girl. (Oooh, you'll have to excuse me, I think my bunt cake is ready!)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  19. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

I am not a Shriner, nor a Mason and never will be, but think that Political Correctness has gone too far in this day and age. An organization should be allowed to have either all women or all men as members.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  20. glitterbugg

glitterbugg New Member

agree,,,totaly.