1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sales tax

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by Pinky the Clown, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

HI, I was wondering if anyone has rented a booth at a fair or community gathering. Did you charge sales tax? If so, how do you go about paying it? JUst wondering.

2. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

unless you are have a resale tax certificate then there is to need to charge tax. typically we are considered a service industry and don't charge sales tax.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

same as Scruffy as long as you're charging for the service, not selling a product, in my state I don't have to charge sales tax.

4. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I will present the other opinion, although I can't say for sure... might be worth asking someone at your county government level... If you are selling balloons in a booth for $5, then it is my understanding that you need to charge and pay the sales tax. A lot of balloon twisters will work for tips to avoid selling stuff. I don't know if face painting would be the same since it is more like a service.