1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ringling bros props for sale

Discussion in 'Clown Classifieds' started by stretchtheclown, Nov 4, 2014.

1. stretchtheclown

stretchtheclown New Member

Ringling brothers props from the closed retail stores. These were bought by clown city from the ringling brothers in the 80s(?) when the ringling stores closed. When clown city closed I bought them.
    I'll be totally honest i don't really want to sell them but I have my eye on a stage illusion. Once I get enough to buy my new trick I'm ending the auctions and keeping the rest. :) I have never seen any others. But I believe there were 4 stores. So who knows. I never had the pleasure of going to the store because I was born in 85. But I can only imagine how cool it was. Anyone have any pics? I would love to see it!?!? I also have all the store fixtures (racks and display cubes) that go along with these.

Here's the links to the auctions

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251699029616

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251702516893

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251699036790

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251699045786

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=251699058064

2. stretchtheclown

I would also consider trading for an illusion.

3. stretchtheclown

Still available! Call or text for more info. 860-885-8926

4. V

V Well-Known Member

fyi - links are dead so items can't be seen...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I think it is time to reopen the Ringling retail stores. People need to find a way to embrace their love of clowns once again.

6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

And I need a place to buy overpriced popcorn tubs the other eleven months out of the year that Ringling isn't here selling programs for fifteen bucks filled with nothing but publicity photos for which the salespeople get to keep all of a dollar or two.

7. tim

Seriously, though, where were these stores located?

I'm also curious about the old Clown College ® painter splash jumpsuits and who was entitled to wear them. Were they ever available for sale in stores?

(I have a particular interest in this since I own one as part of my own circus collection. I also have a green jumpsuit which, if I have it correct, was used by roustabouts, animal care personnel, and others, perhaps.)

8. tim

You know, if they still had (at least) such sort of interesting alliteration, I may have not stopped dropping the sawbuck or so on them annually. It was difficult to discontinue, as this was an annual souvenir that dated back to visits of childhood, by which I can still memorialize the experience. And, though I may have disappointed a friend whose image graced the back cover on his last visit to Chicagoland with the show (I assured him I can pick it up and have him sign it at some fan or historical society convention for three bucks about an equal number of years down the road) at least I offered an understanding ear to that vendor who thought he could get a sale from the guy wearing a company logo cap, when I satirically suggested in reply to his pitch that I'd rather just tip him three dollars, so he could make more money.

Now, I'm going to have to dig that oversized jumpsuit out of its box to check on it. No wonder it only sold for twenty-five bucks!

(The painter outfit went for a bit more......though nowhere near the four hundred that same aforementioned friend spent on one at the Moosecamp auction a few years ago. I'm surprised I got it, actually, considering that I was bidding against the Hamid family, who certainly could have afforded to run me past my budget. Fortunately, Jim had stepped out of the room and left his lovely spouse with a top suggested limit that she didn't want to surpass. I'll have to get you to initialize it, sometime, if it isn't already.)

9. tim

I do wonder how a store would have fared on Michigan Ave., where Disney plies its trade, successfully. While I can certainly see some sensibility in having it associated with the home office town or the home town of P.T. that (let alone Jersey, rather than Midtown Manhattan) just doesn't seem like the most profit potential set of locations.

10. tim

I do wonder whether if Feld had taken a multimedia approach, say with a circus cartoon, computer games, and eventually an app, if it may have better positioned an overall presence. Or, indeed, if their entertainment empire were more consistently effective at offering a unified image of their varied offerings.

As for Disney, they do seem to like having their hand in a lot of things. Though, understanding some entertainment and business history, I have to wonder if that's them or if the real player there is still Balaban & Katz.

11. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, the Disney Store at Woodfield Mall opened with a fast food restaurant as well. I had a friend who worked there when I was in high school.

12. stretchtheclown

Thanks for taking the time to find those pics Pinkberry!!! Do you know what store those pics were taken in? I'm in CT and someone mentioned there were two stores here in CT. Perhaps one of the stores had different fixtures? Some of the items I have actually say Ringling brothers on them. im so confused! Lol