1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red Rubber Noses?

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Little Chuckles, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Little Chuckles

Little Chuckles New Member

Hiya, folks! I was just wondering what your thoughts are on red rubber noses? There are so many options out there. I'm using one with an elastic string as an Auguste Clown due to the Arizona heat. I've always been afraid the glue won't hold. I have to use a lot of baby powder out here when summer gigs hit. Do you think the glue will hold up when it's 115 degrees? It seems so unprofessional to have my nose plop off in the middle of a gig. Thoughts or recommendations? Also, what noses are best and light weight? :???:

2. Little Chuckles

I've simply taken Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse finish and rubbed it all along the white elastic to give it a flesh tone; just to help blend the string with my flesh as much as possible.

3. V

V Well-Known Member

Leon McBryde and Jim Howell noses are probably the most widely used and both can be found on most online clown supplier websites. Leon's proknows has a dedicated website as well but no idea about Jim Howell's since I don't personally use his line.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

If you're wanting a string nose check out the Acme line from Mooseburger. They're a nice good quality round ball style string nose. I would suggest replacing the elastic cord with beading elastic which looks more like fishing line and is less visible.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Leon McBryde (ProKNOWS) and Jim Howle both have a huge selection of noses. Both are former Ringling clowns and great fun to talk to. The main difference between the two is that Leon has a foam material inside the noses and Jim doesn't. The foam can be trimmed to fit your nose and give plenty of surface to glue the nose. Jim's noses are much lighter since they are empty and don't need as much surface area to hold the on. Most of the people I know who have trouble with their noses use too much glue. The glue is like contact cement and needs to dry in order to stick. A thin coat of glue is best.

That said, there are a lot of clowns who use string instead of glue. Go with fishing line or beading elastic. You can thread it through a balloon to cushion the back of your head... I assume you will have a wig/hat that can help hide the string on the back of your head.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Skooter_Silly_Willy

Skooter_Silly_Willy New Member

I have a couple of pro noses and I love them. I use the Jim Howe glue and yes the noses are trimable on the inside. The glue usually sits in the noses, let it sit for abit before putting it on. I also use baby powder(no talc, make sure of that u will tell the difference). It's all a matter of personal preference.

7. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

The trick to gluing on your nose is to remove the makeup and powder.
    I use a rubber nose that is no longer made. After I finish applying my makeup, I use an alcohol wipe to remove the powder and makeup from the area the adhesieve will go. To attach my nose, I use sticky dots made by Mehron. While the alcohool evaporates, I apply the dot to the nose, and then put the nose on my face. I do carry spare dots and alcohol pads just in case, but it stays put through many a long sweaty day in makeup.

8. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Skooter -

You WANT the TALC baby power. You DON'T want the cornstarch baby power (or a mixture of the two.)

The talc is an inert mineral powder, while the cornstarch reacts with your perspiration and can creates some of the neatest Zombie Clown effects you never want at a 5 year old birthday party.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  9. SCOOP

SCOOP Ace Reporter

as far as the heat and using bably powder for sweat have you tried no sweat it is awesome in my opinion

10. Skooter_Silly_Willy

Skooter_Silly_Willy New Member

So many different opinions ><... I have both and have now heard not to use either.

11. Little Chuckles

No Scoop. I haven't heard of it. I'll look into it. Thanks for all the tips guys!

12. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

All the Ringling clowns I've learned from say Johnson and Johnson's Talcum powder is the best, but the generics work almost as well, just make sure it is talc and not cornstarch.

Also from my experience it doesn't seem like the cornstarch is ground as finely as the talc powders.

I worked for a costume/magic/theatre supply store for a few years and the "official" setting powder made by the big boys like Ben Nye and Mehron is a very, very finely ground talc with a small amount of pigment.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I'm taking a class this weekend with the maker of these products, actually. Also nifty is that they are available in ten colors:

http://www.renegadejuggling.com/Clown-Nose-p17.html

14. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Be sure and tell us all about your class with renegade.

15. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I'll start another thread about that, more specifically; since the class (with Iman Lizarazu) was about eccentric performance clowning skills, more than cast molding. Though we did discuss her process of manufacturing the noses a bit after the workshop was completed.

Renegade is her company. She designed and casts the clubs, also. She's an amazingly multi-talented person, from Astrophysics to Artistry. And (though juggling wasn't a specific part of the class) her one woman show exhibits much in the way of her own creative and technical ability for juggling, also.

She was excited to hear me mention that I had previously purchased one of her noses through Mooseburger, instantly recognizing that as one of her distributors.