1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on foam

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Beansie, Aug 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Hug

Hug New Member

Hi I'm new to the forum but have been making props for about 15 years, as long as I have been a Clown. I was the Prop builder for Moosecamp for about 10 years,Any way. Opean cell foam works best for most things Old couch cussions are a good sorce for thick pieces. Garbage day is the best time tofind an old sofa that is going to the trash. The only thing I need to warn you about is that if you find dog hair sticking out of the foam , throw it away because the dog hair will work its way through the foam messing up you props looks. They can be glued to geather with a good contact cement to make thicker pieces. The best way to cut foam that I have found is the band saw with a fine tooth blade. Foam dulls a blade rather fast but it leaves a smooth edgeand is relitivly safe way to cut foam. Electric Knife will work as well but keeping them sharp is not easy. You can also sand you foam prop to get a smoother finish. I hope that this helps.
    Dan/ j.D.Hug

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Welcome hug! I can attest to what foam does to a band saw blade. I killed one in short order building an Ice Cream bar about a year ago.
    Do you have any method's for coating form to give it a smoother finish?

3. Oollilolli

Oollilolli New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]FlexCoat is a non-toxic, water based coating for polyurethane foam, Styrofoam and ethafoam, as well as other surfaces.

For shaping, a band saw is great, but if you don't have access to one of those, depending upon the the foam, electric knives or for larger pieces, a reciprocating saw ("sawzall"). For foams like bead foam or pink insulating foam a rasp makes quick work of shaping.

You can try a hot wire or a wood burning instrument for creating more detailed work, but you need to have a grownup nearby and do your work outside or in a very well ventilated area. *<);-P

You might also try experimenting with material spray paint, found at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. I haven't used it on foam yet.
    [/FONT]

4. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I loved reading all the comments and yes Hobby Lobby Micheals and Jo-Annes all have foam in blocks also furniture repair places even the mom and pop places are a great resource for foam in all shapes square and round. As for the cutting and shaping of foam the electric bread knife is definetly your best friend. I have worked with Female Impersonators or Drag Queens a lot and almost all of them do there hips from foam using the Bread Knife. They have even helped me in the past carve up some props. So if they say Bread Knife too, I would listen. as For the painting floral spray works wonders.