1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on foam

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Beansie, Aug 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Beansie

Beansie New Member

Does anyone know where I can get some thick pieces of foam. the craft stores only carry thin sheets.:???:

2. Duckie

Duckie New Member

Check the fabric stores, they have it in the back in all sizes and thicknesses.

3. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

If you have any companies that produce furniture or mattresses on site chances are they would have the foam. The next challenge would be getting them o let you have some.

4. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Check with an upholstery shop. They have stuff big enough to make couch cushions. You can glue the big pieces together with 3M spray adhesive.
    I believe the stuff you want is called Closed cell foam.

5. Lolly Plop

Lolly Plop New Member

JoAnn's Fabric carries many thicknesses of foam . Be sure to look for a coupon in their ad magazine in Sunday's paper.

6. Sassafras

Sassafras New Member

Do you have Hobby Lobby near you? I thought I saw thick pieces of foam there. Am I mistaken, Scruff? It's hard to remember because it's been a while since I was there.

7. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

I've never used it, has anybody tried the insulation foam boards you can get a home depot? the come in various sized too. maybe to expensive, just wondering.

8. Scruffy

They work for many things. It would depend on the application. it is a bit tricky to cut, It cuts best with a band saw and an eighth inch blade. It difficult to keep the edges nice an smooth.
    Also it has to be painted with latex paint. The closed cell foam you paint with Florists spray paint. Michaels carries a better selection that Hobby Lobby.

9. Beansie

Beansie New Member

checked local fabric stores most places carry the soft foam in square blocks. Looking for round does anyone know how best to cut it and get a good shape?

10. Scruffy

You can cut it with an electric knife. BUT. You have to use the bread blade It has about five times the teeth as the regular carving blade. More teeth, smoother cut. Go to wal mart and find an electric carving knife that comes with a bread blade and a meat blade. throw the meat blade away. It will tear up more foam that anything.

Say it with me class. Bread blade Bread blade, Bread blade........

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. Fuzzle Bumpkins

Fuzzle Bumpkins New Member

I use a Xacto knife, though I have to change the blade often.

12. BlossomTheClown

BlossomTheClown New Member

Thanks Scruffy! It's good to know the bread knife works better than the meat knife. I wish I had known that a couple of weeks ago. I just made a set of foam steps for my dog and I used the electric knife with a meat blade (I don't have a bread knife ... yet). The cuts sure weren't very smooth but since I covered it you can't tell.

I am definitely going to look for a new electric knife with a bread blade though.

13. Gummy the Clown

Gummy the Clown New Member

I just started working at a furniture factory (Ashley Furniture) and they have tons of foam in different thicknesses, I'll see if I can get there leftovers.

14. Artsy

Artsy New Member

Yup. an electric carving knife is thee best to use to carve foam dexteriously. You can get pretty intricate too making curves and scalloped edges. Take your time and you can get very precise in cutting the shape. Use a Sharpie pen to draw the lines before cutting.

Whatch makin' with it?

I love making props.

15. Beansie

Beansie New Member

Was going to try to make my own bomb and TNT sticks figured if I could find the right parts I could do it myself. No luck on the round foam pieces though. tried to do one from a small square block but just doent look right.

16. Artsy

Artsy New Member

Oh! I have an idea--- go to Toys R Us and go in the sports department. They have nerf balls in there of all different sizes-- perfect ball all ready to go for ya!

I'm sure they have nerf BOWLING BALLS. It's already black and you'd have three holes to plug up with Crayola modeling foam (It dries great and is lightweight)

17. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Well if you are going to make your own bomb you first need to decide if you are going to make a pipe bomb or a WMD type device. If a pipe bomb then you need to first collect the correct pipe components and preferably a slow burning fuse...

18. Scruffy

or a REALLY LOOOONG regular one.

Those are two things that I bought. They have them available at Halloween time at the halloween stores. I think they are less than five bucks.

19. Scruffy

If you want to make a giant one, use a red pool noodle cut into sections Just make it look like TNT sticks.

20. Mamma Maple

Mamma Maple New Member

If you don't have an electric bread knife then a regular bread knife would be ok.
    For fake dynamite....take a paper towel roll, stop up the ends with foam and paint it :)

I was just thinking how strange this post would sound outside the Clown Forum :):):)

Good luck tho.