1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting Objects into Balloons

Discussion in 'Balloon Sculpture' started by Milky Manna, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

I've recently learned this trick. I enjoy making a one balloon dog and saying he swallowed a ball... or my personal favorite: a one balloon T-Rex that bit someone's head off.

I don't have the magic pipe or any tool so far. I use the suppository method -- push the ball in with my finger, give it a twist then break the inside with said finger. It works like a charm--except for one annoying detail:

The ball is inevitably covered with a layer of balloon. I watched a couple of videos on Youtube and they did not seem to have this problem. So, it's user error, I know. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I have a bunch of very colorful marbled 25mm super balls and I'd like the kids to see them sans condom.

I've got a party to do on Friday and I am hoping to get it corrected by then. Thank-you!

2. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

The only option I know of is using a bull or sheep castration tool to stretch the neck of the balloon open so the object can be inserted.

3. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

I can imagine the looks I'd get if I pulled an elastrator out of my bag o tricks.

So what you're saying is that any item you insert into a balloon is going to be sheathed? In the videos I watched they were using mostly diamond clear.

4. V

V Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

That's cute what he did there.

If I can't finish the one balloon sculpture with item inside in a minute or less then I won't fool with it. I like the idea of the kid getting to keep a real toy for after the balloon pops.

My idea for the party was to stuff the balloon with some plastic spider, skull and bat rings, but I didn't have much success... then even when I got it in there, the ring looked like a gnarly chewed up piece of gum. Unimpressive.

I'm not exactly clear on how the magic pipe or ball putter is used, but if they work the same as the finger, I'll save my $10 and just go with the finger.

6. V

V Well-Known Member

Basically the magic pipe is a plastic tube that has a chamber with a weighted needle in it. The idea is that you put the prop (plastic spider ring in your instance) inside the pipe, press the pipe against and into the inflated balloon then tilt the pipe towards the balloon where the weighted needle slides down and pops the portion of the balloon touching the pipe allowing the spider to fall into the balloon.

I had one at one time I used a few times but once the novelty wore off I never picked it up again. It actually sat in one of the pockets on the passenger door of my car for years until I threw it away one day at the car wash.

You can see it being used as a sort of tutorial at about 1:12 of the video below...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

This thread has potential for all sorts of guttered-mindedness. :) I don't really have anything to add as far as technique I only use the suppository method. (I like that term for it) But I do have a funny story. A guy in my clown group stopped by mcdonalds after a gig once and was making balloons for the kids inside, and there was a couple of biker couples sitting at a table and one of the women was very obviously pregnant, so he made a "pregnant dog" and gave it to her... She asked how he got it in there, and he just looked at her shocked, and said "That's a personal question.. I didn't ask you how you got THAT in THERE!" pointing to her belly, then he walked off. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Milky Manna

Milky Manna New Member

Very entertaining anecdote there, Knute.

And thanks, Pinko, for the video. I'm definitely going to get the magic pipe maybe that snippet thing as well.

9. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Love the ball putter........just a piece of dowel with a nail at the end.

10. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I bought the ball putter years ago and hated it. The suppository method as you called it was the best and easiest. There are a few videos that show them using 11 inch rounds and stuffing them so that the balloon surrounds the object being inside the inside out balloon but Im assuming your talking about twister balloons though so no new suggestions other than work those fingers, you can see there version at NiftyBalloons.com they charge for the video tutorials but you can see the method from the teasers.

11. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha..........You talking about the bull castrator? I have one in my balloon bag.........hahahahahaha........... I use it when I do stuff in big balloons like an 11" round........but for my 260's......it's the good old ball putter! One of my friends in the Pittsburgh alley sent me a ton of them one year..........I have enough of them to outfit half of Western NY!