1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Professional" Face Painter

Discussion in 'Face Painting' started by sean wilson, Apr 2, 2017.

?

What constitutes a "Professional" Face Painter

1. By being paid to do it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. By having Insurance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Having done a certain number of paid gigs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. When you're work is good enough.

100.0%
  1. sean wilson

sean wilson New Member

At what point is someone considered a "Professional" Face Painter? Just curious what everyone thinks.

2. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I'm more curious to know why face painters thing they should be called clowns.

3. sean wilson

sean wilson New Member

I was referring to face painters, not clowns.

4. V

V Well-Known Member

When it pays your rent or mortgage, utilities, groceries, & daily expenses...

As with much of what is in the variety entertainment industry, the skill set, for the most part, is readily accessible by virtually anyone. Maybe comedy and improv are the exceptions, but even these things can be achievable with practice to a performing acceptable level. My point is - anyone who has access to Google, Youtube, etc - maybe a credit card or a paypal account - has access to all the tools necessary to start down the path of a face painter, clown, magician, whatever. The information age and all of that - there's very little mystery left in a performance these days, so it's no longer just falling into an apprenticeship or an historic cyclopedia of magic & illusions. End result being that a polished routine does a performer make isn't really true any more. You have to be good at marketing - maybe you always did, but you need it even more now. You need to understand SEO, or be willing to pay someone who does - you need to be a business person as much as an entertainer...

Only 1 vote in your poll so far, for "when your work is good enough." I can't disagree more. I know amazing entertainers, who only showcase their talents a few times a year at Vacation Bible School, Relay for Life, or other free community events. Some of these guys are infinitely better performers than I am but I sometimes make as much in a single booking than these guys do in a calendar year...

I think the "when the work is 'good enough" is too arbitrary. Who says so? This mindset makes me compare to the guys who self-publish a book and call themselves professional authors when they're trying to hawk their wares at Farmer's Markets, SciFi Cons, etc..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

What makes anyone a professional? I know in some industries, a professional is someone with a license or other certification. Are you seeing a doctor or someone who is board certified? Are you using a real estate agent or a realtor? In sports, the professionals get paid to play.

With many fields such as photography, writing, entertaining, etc. there are people who do it for a hobby and others who do it for a living. You can buy a professional quality camera without being a professional photographer. I don't know that quality or income is the deciding factor.

It doesn't really matter how it is defined. I think the best entertainers care about the quality of the product they deliver. They seek to become better and feel bad when they know they let a customer down. There are too many people who only care about the money. They work as agents, hire teens and send them out to events with minimal training.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. sean wilson

sean wilson New Member

I like that. You can really tell the people that are just in it for a paycheck and don't care much about pleasing their customers. It's a shame but it is what it is.