1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post from a Professional Retired RBBB Clown

Discussion in 'Hospital Clowning' started by Punkin, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hey guys.......as you know, I have connections with several current and retired Ringling clowns........one of them posted this the other day on FB and I thought some of you may benefit from his words:

Hospital clowning is hard.
    You're firing on all cylinders for two hours and each and every person you meet is completely different. They may all be in the same geographical location, but everyone is experiencing a totally different situation than the last person you saw. The challenge is to key into each person's energy and their particular sense of humor as quickly as you can and then custom tailor everything else that you do specifically to that particular person.
    Some kids just want to sit quietly with you and watch cartoons together, some want a full three ring circus with a fireworks show for a finale.
    And you do it. Completely differently. 20 or 30 times.
    It's impossibly hard... but it's the greatest job in the entire world.

And let me add........sometimes you leave in tears.....but hold them till you get back into the car!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

those words go not only for hospitals but also Nursing homes! I did three years every Wednesday night in and out of costume mostly out but visits to some one in a retirement home aren't put there willingly and some there only visit is you so make the best of the situation. Some wanted to talk some want the one on one entertainment some just sit and stare and that's what they needed. I found out later from a nurse the lady was just in amazement and didn't know what to say so she stared and smiled but talked with the nurse after I'm amazement. I did silly walkaround puppets and my spring animals. So entertainment is all the same if you adjust to the audience and know the needs and limitations of the audience. And Yes its no different then a hospital the tears still fall when done. These are the tears of a clown but they should be tears of joy as you made a difference in their lives at that moment and made a smile and escape for that moment. so enjoy it like the clown prayer says from your work when you make others smile you make your higher power smile (amended to include all religions) and that's a good thing.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

That's so right, Donuts......I've had conversations with the men in the nursing homes about sports......They're usually amazed a "girl" knows anything about sports....thanks to my Daddy, I'm well read in the subject......hahahaha......but your words are so true! You're a special man, Mr, Donuts!!!!!

4. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

5. Klinki the Clown

Klinki the Clown New Member

I also work for hospitals as well a nursing homes - free of charge. The statements made here are absolutely true. Especially when I work at a cancer station with kids I can hardly keep the tears until I am back in my car.

In hospitals just like in nursing homes I also go from room to room and I always find a new situation there - it surely is very hard work but it gives you back a lot.

Here in Germany some "so-called" artists are mad at me just because I do those shows free of charge but being a Clown I also see a big responsibility in our society. I don't know about the States - but here hospitals as well as nursing homes do not have the money to book artists (other than the clown doctors which also work for free, and here they don't go to nursing homes) - so those who are mad at me wouldn't work there anyway and I will keep up my charity-shows because I know it is very hard but most appreciated and important.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

There are many places in the US that have the funds to pay entertainers. I know the Big Apple Circus has a clown care program that hires clowns and sends them out to visit hospitals. There are other programs like Ronald McDonald House that also hold events for children. I couldn't say which hospitals have funds to pay for entertainers or if they come from 3rd Party groups.

A friend had sent me a link to an article about a new law that says in Buenos Aires, hospitals must supply clowns

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wn-law-cheer-sick-kids-worlds-first/73346816/

• Thanks Thanks x 2