1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Political Theater at it's Best!!!

Discussion in 'Political Jokes' started by Pookie, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Tonight is the President's State of the Union Speech (which, really is enough of a joke to complete this post, but I digress...) In a bid to help the middle class he plans on outlining a plan to raise taxes on corporations and the nebulous wealthy.

However, none of the money expected from these taxes will ever end up in my pocket. And when these new taxes fail to generate the projected revenue, the tax burden will have to be shifted to the lower brackets to make up the difference.

So, ultimately, those of us who are not corporations or the rich, will be the punchline.

2. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

A populist agenda attempting to do something to address the imbalance between the rich and poor, is bound to fail regardless of which party is in office. Remember Bush also made half hearted promises in this direction too and achieved absolutely nothing. Big business and the multi national corporations, who operate beyond public control or scrutiny, are the ones that really run the country and hold all the power. This was something that the Occupy Movement was attempting to highlight, to the largely ignorant nation and something that you refused to give any support to.

3. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

The President has spoken alot about "income inequality". I'm a little baffled, since I have never encountered nor have I suffered "income inequality".

Over the past 25 years I have held jobs in Hawaii, New Jersey, and now Wisconsin, without this "income inequality". I had the same income as the other people I worked with who performed the same work I was and worked the same number of hours as I. Strangely enough, this also included women. Well, except for those women that had been promoted to a supervisory or management position, and were then paid a higer wage comensorate with that position.

• Groan Groan x 1
  4. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

This is true, and congratulations for noticing, Barry.

Of course my Economics class in college showed that this would never work. However, we are still told that it will work, this time, until it doesn't.

Actually, Barry, it was the people on an extended camp out on Wall Street that were ignorant. And I personally refused to give it support because I realized from what I learned in my college economics class that the protesters were wishing on a star and blowing sunshine.

5. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

t appears I may have been wrong when I made that statement. The President has outlined that a tax credit or deduction will be provided for those in the lower tax brackets.

Of course, will that credit/deduction be larger than the other tax and fiscal increases that the those of us in the lower income brackets will face.

With the increase in capital gains tax people who sell their houses will get less from the sale of their homes.

Increasing fees on fiscal institutions will be shifted to customers: higher commissions on financial transactions; lower interest rates on CDs and bank accounts, or charging customers for savings and checking accounts; higher interest rates on mortgages, car loans, home improvement loans, small business loans.

People who took advantage of college savings accounts will be taxed when they go to use them to attend college, affecting their education choices.

And of course the death tax; this one affects me the most. My parents worked long, hard hours to achieve what they did in life. They bought, improved and maintained a nice house; invested in annuities, retirement funds, bank CDs, etc., to ensure they could retire; and when they passed, to leave something for their children and grandchildren. Of course now a majority of whatever is left when my parents die will go to the government, thus ensuring that my brother and I and our children will not have the opportunity to take our inheritance and use it to improve our own lot in life.

Hey! It looks like I was right after all!!

6. V

V Well-Known Member

meh... More of the same 'gender pay gap' doesn't exist. That's been the same factually incorrect story for decades now.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.pdf

It's this type of thinking (in a broad range of topics) that is why the right won't win the White House again any time soon in that instead of progressive thinking and adaptation, they stick with simply trying to retell the same stories over and over and over.

I know, I know... the American people 'threw those rascals out' in the most recent election but let's face it - it was a midterm election that despite the Fox News fervor, was about on average for the amount of seats the White House controlling party generally loses. It's not likely that the Republicans will maintain control of the Senate after 2016 and then we're right back where we started. Add in the fact that the candidates currently being touted by the Right are Stellar (another Bush, and Romney - who has a plan to keep running until he eventually wins?) and they aren't going to win over many voters who aren't registered republicans. Instead of putting forth candidates who actually have working brains (John Huntsman as my example) they continue to tout complete lunatics (Ted Cruz, Michelle Bachman, basically any tea party basket case - or, re-runs like "that's my first name" Mitt Romney, or the third Bush). I'm actually in favor of those picks really - whereas I would consider a vote for a less-than-fanatical candidate (Huntsman), it makes my trip to the ballot box quick and easy when they continue to throw these maniacs at voters. The benefit? - Great comedy in the coverage of the Cruz, Bachman, Perry types.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I had a rather lengthy sardonic response. However, it seemed to be more sarcastic, and, well, I'd rather wait for the Presidential campaign to get into full swing before I get sarcastic.

Weird, though, how you did not tackle anything in my posts, other than an obscure reference to the murky "gender pay gap". And I did not mention Fox News, the mid term election, or possible Republican Presidential candidates. Nor could you come up with anything more substantive than the usual tripe put out by PBS, NPR, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Al Jazeera America, New York Times, USA Today, AP, UPI or the White Houses daily talking points emails. Yeah, better to stick with that than try to think for yourself.

8. V

V Well-Known Member

Because when you come out with a statement on an issue that has been proven, by fact - to exist; and then deny that it does exist, your point of view on that subject and anything similar is not taken seriously.

The truth is, that you can go back to virtually any post that is political in nature, that you've made here - and it reflects the same absurd talking points that are found on fanatical (and fictional by the way) Republican broadcast channel or talk news radio. Sure, you didn't mention Fox News by name, but honestly - everyone here can associate it with your posts on these topics; they just don't take the bait.

On not mentioning Republican candidates, obviously you didn't bring them up. It's clear in my earlier post that I mention them just to nip in the bud any talk about how this past midterm election proves anything about the trend on voting, politics, or elections in our country. Just saying, it was a largely irrelevant midterm election, and while it had some implications - they weren't very important long term. The ship will right itself after the 2016 election and all the recent Republican fervor of victory will soon go back to the normal hate and vitriol that everyone is accustomed to. Come back after the next national election and post then, but honestly - this thread really isn't worth the effort. I'm not going to spend energy debating pay gaps and such that are 100% factual with someone who claims it doesn't exist.

9. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like I fell victim to my own petard in my most recent post.

10. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Yeah, V, I had another really, really really long response, and thought better of it. Brevity and all...

You really need to let the Fox News, et al. thing go. I have stated that my thoughts and conclusions are my own, since, well, they are my own. (Y'know, free thought and all. As dangerous a prospect as that is...) You may want to try thinking for yourself sometime. However, seeing as how progressives are a bigoted and intolerant lot, especially in large groups, you may be safer just going along with what you're told to think.

Also I agree with you that Jeb Bush would be wonderful Presidential candidate for the Demokkkrat Party. He could be put on the ticket with the Two For One Blue Plate Special Ms. Hillary Rodham Clinton. But calling Mitt Romney "stellar"... Stellar? Really..?

Oh, I read through the report on the gender pay gap. I'll limit my answer to the same I gave to similar discussion I had in college. The conclusion reached seemed, to me, to be the result of a statistical anomaly. I doubt I'll get the same reaction I got from you that I got from the instructor; you can't tell me to leave the room.

• Groan Groan x 2
  11. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

Alright Pookie, you're getting obnoxious. This forum is for making fun of politicians, not snide remarks about your fellow members. Any further attacks must follow Princess of Queensberry rules. (And since you're a statistician as well, please work in something about how the gender pay gap is really just a rounding error.)

;)

12. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I enjoy political humor. But, in order for it to be effective, humor has to be humorous.

Some people need to work harder on their material.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

Well spoken, Tim.

I had hoped I was being sardonic, and that would have been enough. It seems that it takes a little more than that to be humorous. Like maybe a little self-deprecation:

Damn me for not watching Fox News more often!!

14. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

15. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

The last few weeks have shown that Governor Jeb Bush has no appreciable accomplishments that would indicate he would do well in the White House, and has provided four contradictory and mutually exclusive answers to questions about President W. Bush's decision to depose Saddam Hussein.

Oh, my glob, you guys! I was right!! He is the perfect Demimonde Party presidential candidate!!!