1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pies in the Face

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by Short Stack, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Short Stack

Short Stack New Member

I'm just wondering besides being cheaper and cleaner. Why is it that people throw pie tins full of whipped cream instead of full pies complete with a cherry on top? All my childhood I saw pies being thrown on TV and I thought that was the best gag every until I looked closer and saw it was just whipped cream. I was going to include the pie gag in my gig for a bonus and maybe little extra money I was going to let a pie get thrown at my face but I want to use full pies any thoughts on this? And also how would I get my nose to stay on during this process? And I've also noticed I have alot of Clown cliches in my supplies. Like a bike horn, rubber chicken, chattering teeth, disappearing ink pen, snakes in a can of nuts, squirting flower, hand buzzer, bang flag gun, and a fake cigarette are these big nonos for clowning today? Like I said this is what I've seen growing up on tv so I don't know.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

It may look like whipped cream, but it is really shaving soap, at least the ones I have seen done.

While you may think the pie in the face is fun, safety and cleanup are both important considerations. Do you want to get the cherry filling for a real pie in you eyes, on your costume, and the carpet of someone's living room? Soap is safe for skin and much easier to clean up afterwards.

While a pie in the face may be a classic, it isn't my thing. I don't like to portray people getting into a fight.

3. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

With America's disturbing obesity epidemic, should you people really be slinging whipped cream pies at each other? Perhaps it's time to take a moral stand and find healthier fillings. Why not try steak and kidney or meat and potato or leak and onion?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I noticed one of the Seafair Clowns had some sort of novelty yo-yo pie. As in he throws it, it gets a bit of distance, but then retracts. It looked great on their facebook, in any case. It may be an option to check out: an update of an old classic.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Simply Knute

Simply Knute Well-Known Member

Shaving cream it is! In the Circus they use shaving soap, grate it with a cheese grater, and mix it with water in a big trash can with a whisk on a drill. For smaller fights, a can of barabasol works well. The reason for not using real whipped cream is because the dairy can stain, and it starts to stink pretty quickly on a warm summer day unless you shower instantly. I've heard horror stories about taking a pie made with real whipped cream, and the cream gets up the nose, and starts to spoil up there. Then you're smelling rotten dairy all day.

I would say besides that, a normal pie just wouldn't have the splatter effect.

As for the other stuff you mentioned, I think almost all of those are overused and lost their funny a long time ago, unless you're just an extremely funny person and can use them in a way that no-one has thought of.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Asher

Asher New Member

I've done a few outdoor shows and have included the pie in the face gag...it was shaving cream and it was a big pain to clean. The items you mention are kinda played out, I do sometimes use the can with spring snakes...I get the kids to help me put them back in the can and of course the second they put them back in I move the finger I have holding the spring down and let them go again. It works well with small groups as the kids enjoy helping the ditzy clown...

7. Mongo The Clown

Mongo The Clown Active Member

Few gags crack me up like a classic pie-in-the-face and I think a real pie might be funny. But here's something to consider when thinking about using REAL pies. Stick to the cream or custard variety. Some of them, like the fruit-filled ones, are HEAVY, especially compared to fluffy whipped cream or shaving soap. An apple pie, for example, has a bit of heft to it. If you get hit in the face with any kind of enthusiasm, it can be pretty unpleasant.

8. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hi Kids! I keep in close contact with a former RBBB clown and he tells me that the pies in the circus are made of soap flakes......they use a huge mixer to mix them up. Our alley used to always use Cool Whip Lite........stayed together way better than the regular stuff........and is tastier than soap........make sure you have a foam covered pan so you don't break someone's nose.

9. Jmarshall

Jmarshall New Member

Is custard easy to clean up?

10. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

No. It's not.

11. ToonUp

ToonUp Member

Yep. Shaving cream is the standard for circus and backyard shows. Add a bit of water and it splatters more, which is funnier, but not to be used near expensive things. Shaving foam also cleans off Much easier than food stuffs.

Whipped cream pies tend to be popular for game shows. They're cheap, safe and edible, but they don't usually cover well and the recipient will in fact have to suffer that sour milk smell for a while afterwards.

Bakery style cream pies are the best. With a doubled baked crust, they can be thrown without a tin and explode for maximum comic effect. The coverage is great, and you can eat it too. It's also the hardest to clean up, and may ruin your clothes, which is why they're mostly used for slapstick films that can budget one time use costumes, and almost never used by working clowns.

Thus, I suggest using a dry shaving foam pie, after affixing your nose with extra strong glue, and putting barrier spray on over your set makeup. Also, have a stringed nose in a pocket just in case.

12. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

One time at work to help raise money for chairity I took a pie in the face. I will never do it again. I had chocarate up nose and every where else. I understand why whip cream would be better.
    I would recommend only do a pie bit if truely necessary think of the mess!

• Useful Useful x 1