1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pickles' Tips on Using Expandable Foam Insulation

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Pickles, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Christopher Clown

Christopher Clown What the Seuss??!

So Pickles... where did you find your new shake cups at??

2. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Shop-Ko. They are emerald green and are shaped like malt glasses with a stem and all. They're taller than the ones I used last time. I'm going to buy some cherries today and then get started with the new shakes tonight. I'll post a photo in a couple weeks -- if they haven't exploded.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Pickles

Well, it's been three weeks, and the new & improved shakes haven't exploded yet. So today (while keeping fingers crossed) I hot-glued the new shakes on my tray and, here they are:

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. Hope has a name

Hope has a name New Member

those look great!

5. HAPPYNOW

HAPPYNOW New Member

Pickles those are awsome... I love your new glasses... The green is beautiful... I cant wait to see a photo shoot with them... Good job!

6. CHOPPER

CHOPPER New Member

Wooooooodey hooooooooo----
    they look delish...and might i say...a perfect color for a pickle lady....
    Cant wait for the photos now...

7. Pickles

I think I'm gonna carry them in the Great Circus Parade.

8. Jodie

Jodie New Member

Great job Pickles!

9. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Very nice. And BETTER than the originals I think.

10. Pickles

Yeah, I think so too. I'm GLAD that the first ones exploded.

11. mr. kellygnc

mr. kellygnc New Member

priss did you ever take the pics of the cupcakes????

12. misspriss

misspriss New Member

13. mr. kellygnc

mr. kellygnc New Member

how much for the shakes priss???

14. Bustyn

Bustyn New Member

This is pretty cool stuff to work with, I made some shakes of my own for a parade gag..handing out "free shakes!" I used Coca Cola cups I found at a dollar store and used them...except I didn't fill them all the way with foam insulation, I used a cardboard circle cutout and put it a quarter of the way down in the cup, then filled it up.
    Helped a lot with the expansion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Professor QB

Professor QB New Member

I know this is reviving an ancient thread but I thought it would go better here then in a new thread of it's own.

I recently saw a trick prop that was a cream pie made out of expanding foam and the foam was attached to the pie pan with an elastic string. The bottom of the pie pan had a strap so a clown could "throw" the pie, the pan would stay on their hand, the "cream filling" complete with cherry on top flew out then sprang back to the pan.

Looks fun. I'd only use it to throw at another clown who was in on the gag rather than at the audience.

But, it looks like it could be a lot of fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Thanks perfesser! I might have to start one.

17. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

I have a soft foam one I bought from a prop maker. It went over great as a walk around gag. The guys at the pork burger grill really got a kick out of it. As it was soft foam it wouldn't hurt if it accidentally bumped someone but I controlled the amount of elastic I let out and never had a problem. People were ducking left and right.
    Sara K.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

I remember a Texan clown who thought it inapropriate to squirt water at members of the audience. He would only direct his antics at other clowns wised up to the gag.
    I guarantee, without any doubt what so ever, it would be far more fun if it were thrown at unsuspecting victims. Both for you, the victims and all the spectators who saw you do it.Lame beyond belief that spoke volumes of his own insecurities and limited capabilities in clowning and creating comedy. Rather than try and develop his skills, he sought to impose limits on how others practised their own art. But despite thinking it wrong to squirt someone, he Obviously, you exercise some caution. It is not the kind of thing you are going to do at very young children and your not going to do it near moving traffic, where people might leap into the road to avoid the pie. But when you select the right time, space, victim and audience, it is exactly the kind of stunt people would expect and want of a clown. It is a great piece of business that will provoke a whole bunch of emotions, fear, shock, relief, laughter and from a knowing audiance, anticipation, excitement etc. It is no different from playing with buckets of water splashng it around getting you and your buddy soaked but when you come to throw a bucket over the audience, it is filled with confetti. Or playing with sprung racoons, the idea of someone not shrieking or jumping is inconceivable.had absolutely no problem with the death penalty! People with idiotic ideas of what a clown should and should not do are exactly the same kind of clowns that scare people.
    You dont want to hurt or scare people but you do want to leave them knowing they have just been played by a clown.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  19. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Barry,
    That is exactly what I did and the guys at the grill were ridding the guy I snuck up on like "Ha Ha she really got you." People were ducking and then laughing and it was very comical. I would scream "PIE" and then throw it or sneak up ask people eating would you like some pie. The trick was to hide the elastic in your hand so it looked real and hold it pretty high up like a pizza pie. I do think the soft foam would be a safer option but if you are careful and don't let out too much elastic you should be O.K.
    Sara K>

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. SmartiiTheClown

SmartiiTheClown Well-Known Member

I think this is the effect you two are talking about

I agree using it with unsuspecting members of the public gets the reaction the prop is designed for, but If you have clown buddies to play with real pies could be WAY more fun.

Smartii

• Thanks Thanks x 1