1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pickles' Tips on Using Expandable Foam Insulation

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Pickles, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Nettie Belle

Nettie Belle New Member

I did my milkshakes today. I have to do the second step when I get my cherries from ebay. It's hard to find cherries around here. :cry:

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  2. CHOPPER

CHOPPER New Member

You two clowns... Must be siemese twins separated at birth.. To be keyed in like that...ok.. When one stubs her toe.. Does the other yell ouch....?????.. If noone is in the forest does a tree that falls make noise.????

• Groan Groan x 1
  3. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Another victory in the battle against Expandable Foam Insulation!!!

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. Violet

Violet Well-Known Member

They turned out great, Pickles!

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

They look great, but I expected them to be supersized...

6. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

Great Job, Pickles!

7. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I don't dare ask for a sip, considering what you have those fake shakes laced with.

8. misspriss

misspriss New Member

I think it can be sanded. Screws no. It's too porous. The trick is go slow, watch how the stuff acts, cuz it does have a life of it's own. Make sure that straw is in use and afixed well. I've yet to get a can that can be used after the first initial use. Also, don't try to shape the stuff after it's forming. You will create a totally different texture.

9. misspriss

misspriss New Member

CUPCAKES FOR SALE:

I seen some containers that look just like large size cupcake papers. Brightly colored, plastic, with the zig-zag pleats. Approx. 4 in tall by 6 diameter. Anybody interested in either buying just the containers or would you like me to make some cupcakes?

10. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

You can save the can.
    The trick is acetone and a pair of Blue Nitrile gloves. Remove the nozzle from the can and pour a bit of acetone down the nozzle to dissolve the stuff. Use acetone to clean the straw and other parts. Lastly wipe the can down with a paper towel soaked with some acetone.
    Use in a well venilated area. The Nitrile gloves will stop the Acetone from leaching into your skin. They are made expressly for that purpose and are hypo allergenic.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  11. misspriss

misspriss New Member

Miss Priss version of milk shakes.

Milk Shakes:

My version of the milk shakes I made some time back. This is for sale too. If some one wants it.

I've gone ahead and started the cupcakes. Pics pending.

Attached Files:

12. BlossomTheClown

BlossomTheClown New Member

Cool looking milkshakes Miss Priss!

13. Pickles

Sadly, I need to give you a little warning and advice for making your expanding foam insulation shakes.

Three weeks after I thought I had completed my shakes, I ran up into the craft/clown room to get something and was horrified when I spotted what used to be my yellow tray and three shakes. That $#!!@@ expanding foam insulation truly does have a life of its own. I thought it was done expanding, but I was wrong. The stuff kept growing and growing until it cracked through the bottoms of my plastic shake cups and oozed across the tray and up the outside of the glass. The shakes are beyond repair, so I need to start over.

I have consulted with Scruffy, who recommends that I drill a hole in the bottom of the cups to allow for additional expansion and hold off affixing the cups to the tray for a few weeks.

I wish I would have taken a photo so you could see my latest fiasco with this stuff, but I was too peeved. You will have to trust me that was a pretty eerie site. In fact, I'm thinking about writing a horror tale about expandable foam insulation taking over the world. (Scary. Shudder.)

• Laugh Laugh x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  14. CHOPPER

CHOPPER New Member

Ok pickles.....im laughing and at the same time...i want to give a hug...
    ((((((((((((((((((((hug)))))))))))))))))))))
    your life with foam....what a book that would make....sorry for your headaches, but time from now we will all have great times remembering....

15. Dusty B

Dusty B Hobo Clown At Large

That what doesn't kill us will make a great story for others to laugh at. :)

16. misspriss

misspriss New Member

I did a revamp on a set that I had. Plastic breakable cups. Did the same thing! Cracked the glasses. Gotta be somethingwhere the expansion can rise up and not out.

17. CHOPPER

CHOPPER New Member

I wonder if it would work better if you filled the cups and glasses a little at a time....

18. Pickles

I may retract this statement in a week or two, but right now, I'm GLAD my first attempt at shakes ended in disaster, because I REALLY like the new shake glasses that I bought yesterday.

I drilled holes in the bottom so the expandable foam has a place to go if it keeps expanding. That's another embarrassing story that I feel compelled to share.

I didn't want to disturb Husband, who was sleeping on the couch watching TV -- or rather, watching the insides of his eyeballs -- so I found his power drill and started trying to drill holes in the bottoms of my new cups. It was taking FOREVER. I thought maybe I had the wrong drill bit, so I finally, out of desperation, awoke him, showed him the drill, and asked him if I needed a different bit.

He was horrified. "You're using a screwdriver!" he said, adding, "I thought you were smart."

HAHA. I guess I'm not so smart when it comes to power tools -- or expandable foam insulation.

• Laugh Laugh x 5
  19. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Wait, you're making screwdrivers instead of shakes now?

• Laugh Laugh x 6
  20. Jodie

Jodie New Member

If it was a fat screwdriver you might try taking it into the kitchen and useing it to mix-up your real mikeshake.

• Laugh Laugh x 1