1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pickles' Tips on Using Expandable Foam Insulation

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Pickles, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Because of the serious nature of this topic, I am starting a new thread instead of adding this to the existing thread on how to make an ice cream cone prop. If any of you are even considering making your own ice cream cone or cupcake prop or in any way way dabbling with Expandable Foam Insulation, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD.

I have just had my first experience with this product, and it is not one that I will soon forget (especially given the fact that I can barely bend my fingers, due to their new foam insulation crust coating).

Here are a few tips that I hope you will follow if you plan to open a can of expandable foam.

[​IMG]

The instructions for expandable foam insulation advise users to "wear rubber gloves." Do yourself a favor and WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. Even when your gloves become coated with this substance and start sticking to themselves and looking similar to the yellow rubber glove in the above photo, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR GLOVES.

In case you do not plan to heed this warning, be sure that you are well-stocked with paint thinner and/or fingernail polish remover. But do not kid yourself into thinking that expandable foam insulation can be removed from skin with a quick dip in these solutions. You would be wise to also stock up on a medium-grit sandpaper as well as Scotch-Brite scrubbing sponges.

In addition, if you do not wear protective gear on your hands, do NOT:

• attempt to use your cell phone to place an SOS call to Miss Priss or Scruffy The Clown. At this point you are beyond help anyway.
    • try to log onto Clown Forum. Expandable Foam Insulation adheres to keyboards as well as appendages.
    • try to take a photo of your mess with your digital camera (for the same reasons as stated above).

Do: Keep cats and children of all ages out of the room when you are using this product.

Do NOT wear any clothes that you hope to someday wear again.

And for those of you who don't trust yourself with expandable foam insulation but who want an ice cream cone prop, Peachy Keene makes a lovely 23-inch soft serve cone for $60.

• Thanks Thanks x 24
    • Laugh Laugh x 23
  2. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

Awesome. I love this stuff, but I've never used it for a prop. Nor have I ever had a disaster such as you were able to accomplish!

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  3. Scruffy

Scruffy Boss Clown/Administrator

FWIW, pickles. The first can I open looked just like that.

Oh the carnage!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
    • Laugh Laugh x 5
  4. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

Just curious - did you folks open this with a can opener or something? I've had a problem getting the foam to "stop" after I'm finished, but I just let it drip into a pile on the concrete floor or scrap wood. It can generally be scraped off the floor when it dries.

I have to admit though, I have gotten some on some pants. It never comes out. The stuff will degrade over the years if left outdoors though.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Pickles - would you be interested in teaching a class on how to use and not use expandable foam insulation at the Spring Fling?

• Laugh Laugh x 5
  6. Pickles

I'd be honored. Do you suppose I'll still have this crust on my hands in March?

• Laugh Laugh x 3
  7. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

OK, there must be more to the story or pictures to share. This is too funny to stop with just a teaser.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  8. Ty-Me

Ty-Me New Member

yea Pickles it should still be there. May be you should make some home made biskits,
    Get your hands down in the biskits and this may help. Had a friend that done this with varnish and it cleaned his hands.

9. misspriss

misspriss New Member

OMG, you didn't have the long straw with it? Don't give up. By Gosh, now you've got to finish it.

10. Pickles

Well, Miss Priss, I started out with the long straw, but about halfway into it, the the pressure was so great that the straw blew off. It was completely covered with guck -- as were my hands -- and when I tried to put it back on, it just stuck to my hand. I finally said "the heck with it" and used the foam without the straw. Actually, the foam was easier to spread without the straw. But it did get a little messy.

And, don't worry, I AM gonna finish this thing. I'm not going to walk around with crust on my hands for months and not have an ice cream cone prop to show for it.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Laugh Laugh x 2
  11. BlossomTheClown

BlossomTheClown New Member

Pickles,
    Thanks for the post, I was thinking about making one also but now I'm not so sure. Maybe I better just stick to real ice cream cones ... They're messy too, but at least it will come off my hands when I lick the mess off. :)

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  12. Nettie Belle

Nettie Belle New Member

Wow. Who would have thought about all this? I'm glad you prepared us. Miss Priss has probably used it more so she was prepared. Or ... maybe you just got a bad can Pickles.

I have a question ... what happens if this stuff gets in your eyes? Do you wear goggles to use it? Also, what about the smell? Is it smelly?

Miss Priss' cone is so cute ... and it sounded so easy ... I'm afraid I would end up with this gunk all over too.

Well, PLEASE show us the final prop, Pickles. You have a lively audience, all waiting for the subject to appear. I'm sure you will work on it and make it adorable. By the way, what kind of ice cream are you preparing? Pickle ice cream? Will it have little green chunks in it????

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  13. Christopher Clown

Christopher Clown What the Seuss??!

I think it must be a Pickley thing... My very first experience using great stuff (without gloves) went fine. Of course I was attempting to make a store bought plastic cauldron appear to be overflowing with lime green ooze so neatness wasn't really a key factor.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  14. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

18 laughs already for just one post. I think you've outdone everyone on that.

15. Pickles

Nettie Belle, as long as you don't point the can toward your face or get the foam on your hands and rub your eyes, you shouldn't have a problem. And, no, the foam does not have an odor.

And, DUH, why didn't I think of having pickle-flavored ice cream?!! I was going to have chocolate and strawberry, but you're absolutely right, the top scoop should be green, and now it will be. Thanks, Nettie Belle.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  16. Shoestring

Shoestring New Member

Oh, Pickles! You just can't turn off the funny can you?! I'm sorry that you had problems, that stuff is tricky! Much more tricky than the can leads you believe. My husband tried to weather proof our house with it once and had some problems. (not like yours LOL, but he did have some straw flying mishaps)

I think screwing up mundane tasks is part of the curse of the clown.... whenever my mom and I (both clowns) start in on a project hilarity ensues.....hubby says "you two are like Lucy and Ethel alive!" which is kinda true except Lucy had something called gracefulness which I do NOT. LOL

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  17. Nettie Belle

Nettie Belle New Member

Hmmmm ... I wonder if someone injected some of that expandable foam in my skin ... that would explain the expansion in my hips, thighs, and stomach, that wouldn't be my fault.

• Laugh Laugh x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. BlossomTheClown

BlossomTheClown New Member

Pickle ice cream ... Perfect for a pregnant clown!

• Laugh Laugh x 2
  19. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

oo pickles and ice cream on business card at the ob office.....for parties to come.

20. Pickles

noooooooo!!!!!!!!

• Laugh Laugh x 5