1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only 4 Months to plan for VD Show

Discussion in 'Magic' started by Pickles, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Hiya, clowns.

I just accepted a gig that is four months away in February, but since it's going to take a little planning on my part, I am starting my brain-storming.

This is a 30-minute preschool library show with a Valentine's Day theme. I don't feel it's necessary to have the entire show about reading, but I do think a couple of the tricks should involve LOVE of reading.

Ideas?

2. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

So that is what your VD stands for.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Part of the show will be about reading. The rest will be on sexual health. There's a great bit you can do with a shot glass, a condom, and Also Sprach Zarathrustra.

But, what about some sort of heart paper fold, tear and restore, or some such?

Remember, the ukulele is the instrument of love.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pickles

I just realized that I can't count. I actually have FIVE months to prepare for this, but five months is not long enough for a show this complex.

Seriously, how do I combine Valentine's Day and reading -- for PRESCHOOLERS. AGH.

5. Pickles

So this is what I have so far:

Warm up with Volume Meter--Ask about things they LOVE. Getting Valentine's day cards? Eating pickles... Eating Pickle-chip ice cream. Reading. Try to get their cheers to the 10 on volume meter.

Blooming Bouquet (They love me, the love me not)

Then maybe Pickles can get confused about Valentine's Day and hearts. Somewhere i have a rubber heart (the type of heart inside your chest). I could tell them I'm going to magically make a Valentine's Day heart appear and pull out that instead. And eventually turn it into VD hearts. But where's the message on reading? Maybe I can consult a book on how to do this. I dunno.

HELP!!!! This is urgent. I only have five months!

6. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

What about a book about valentines day and you learn everything about it by reading the book? And that book is also alive, it has eyes and hands and such (make a recorded voice and play it to play the character of the book, or let someone do the voice live) Every page has a word with a picture (like a heart or flower) and then that's the subject for a few minutes and you do your magic tricks and talk about it and such.
    And in the end you love the book and the book gets something nice, like...a last page! Because the last page is still empty. Or eh, something.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. tim

What about telling a story? The story of St. Valentine, perhaps. Or a fairytale where the characters fall in love. You can enact the story with the assistance of the audience. And, of course, they can get the book "right here at the library."

Or, maybe, you have valentine hearts with ideas that you're going to read and try out.

What can you do with paper folds and hearts? Maybe simple origami.

Does everything necessarily have to be done with the same theme throughout? Can one trick be about reading, another themed to the holiday, yet another piece just be plain entertaining?

Don't over think things.

8. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

For pre-schoolers?

Yeah, that was exactly my notion too. Perhaps learning about St. Valentine will do something to counter the religiously inspired, Christian sponsored, homophobic bigotry that seems so prevalent throughout much of American society. Maybe St. Valentine can serve as an example and teach children that meddling in other people's love live's and poking their unwanted and uninvited noses into the bedroom habits of others, might result in your execution through decapitation and your head being put in a box so tourists visiting Rome, can view it.

I agree. Teach the kids that what ever you do, don't get you Valentines Cards confused and mixed up. I did that once and ended up with a wife that thought I wanted to have sex with her and a girlfriend that thought I loved her.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. tim

Oh, the boys think its super cool when the alka selter releases gas into a condom and makes it grow. Girls are a little weirded out by it, for some reason.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  10. maverick

maverick Member

do you have an Axtell board?

11. Pickles

Yes, I do.

12. maverick

maverick Member

Because of your lack of response I can only conclude my Ideas are not needed therefore I have removed them. I find it sad that a forum like this that seemed to offer a place that encouraged the sharing of Ideas does anything but. Maybe If I inserted a cheaky remark I too would have been thanked for my attempt to help you solve your problem. I will in keeping my manners give you my thanks, for with out your thread I might not have got a couple of ideas to develop. If you would like an opportunity to sell your axtell board I am looking for one.

13. Pickles

So sorry that I was not able to check in before you removed your advice, Maverick. My failure to respond promptly was in no way meant to offend you. Rather, it was a result of my hectic life. Thanks anyway!

14. Artsy

Artsy New Member

Hi Pickles!

The first thing that came to my mind was to make enough big hearts out of construction paper to go around the class number (with a few extra to be sure). Then stack the hearts up and fold them down the center. Then make two staples in the crease to form a "book." You can pretend that you're reading from the book or recite a madeup poem about how much you love reading. Then say you would love to share your love for reading to everyone, and then you can hand out to each child a heart page from the book.

Okay. What's next? An audience participation of some sort with the heart? Hmmm... Maybe you can take it from there. :applause:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

I just entered a poetry writing competition for Valentine's Day with this.

True Valentine

The 14th of February was a day Valentine dreaded.
    For that was the day, Claudius had him beheaded.
    Val had tried converting him to Christianity,
    which to a Pagan Emperor, was an utter profanity.

Claudius said, “I’ve no interest in all this Christian malarkey.
    I’m too busy having Roman orgies and going to toga parties.
    So for you, my old pal Valentine,
    It’s off t’ prison at bottom of t' Palatine.

The jailer’s daughter was as blind as a bat
    But Valentine miraculously cured her of that.
    He said, “Next time, do yourself a few favours.
    Jump on t’ chariot and pop down to Spec Savers”.

They beat him black and blue, with clubs and boulders.
    Then while he was still twitching,
    nipped into the kitchen.
    To get a knife, to chop his head from his shoulders.

St. Valentine’s Day shouldn’t be all blowing kisses,
    Cupid’s arrows, buying chocolates for the Misses,
    holding hands all lovey dovey, kissy cuddly, romantic goo.
    It commemorates the day poor Val, stopped needing to use shampoo.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  16. tim

That's brilliant, Barry!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. tim

I wish I were still teaching religious ed to Catholic kids. I'd read that to them.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Thank you Tim. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm also very glad you're not giving religious education to kids.

Once you know the true story behind St. Valentine, it makes you wonder what people mean when they say "Be my Valentine". Do they love you or maybe they want to see you end up in a exceptionally brutal, bloody, prolonged, pitiless and grizzly slaying????

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  19. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Oh common Cupid is just part of the mask what really happened on this day holiday mascot crew.

20. tim

Oh, it was a blast. I'd do Marx Bros. Stuff with them. Once I came in character (not clown makeup) and kept up the bit for an hour. Usually I was a substitute teacher, so I would tell them up front that my job was to provide the lesson or work that their regular instructor left behind, and their job was to try to keep me off track and unaccomplished at the task. Then I'd usually just toss out the notes which I was left and teach whatever I wanted and saw fit, anyhow.

My favorite day was when I was reading from the bible about Pentecost. The crowd accused the apostles of being drunk. To which they replied that this was ridiculous, as it was only nine in the morning. I ad libbed, "The bars aren't even open yet!" Then went right on with the next verse. A couple of verses later, a girl in the class shouted out, "Wait. Where's that?" "Where's what?" I asked. She had caught my comic quip and was searching for it in the text. Now, suddenly, all these kids who were glossing over had their noses in the bible looking for the tavern hours. I had to explain that this is what was meant. I still wonder what they told their parents that night when asked what was learned in religion class that night.

So, marriage?

• Thanks Thanks x 1