1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-magic things you can do in the hospital

Discussion in 'Hospital Clowning' started by LarryTheClown, Dec 4, 2015.

1. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

So I've been visiting the Children's Hospital with a group quite often this year. Most of the time, everyone takes turns showing off magic tricks. This is fine: I contribute and have three or four tricks ready to go. But I think it can get old, especially when it's one trick after another, just with different clowns. Any suggestions on how we can mix it up?

I should note that most of the time we're not bedside, but we have to do our thing in the doorway, which really puts a limit on what you can do. (It's sometimes for health reasons, sometimes because the kids are a little frightened by strangers close-up.)

2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

One clown who used to post on here taught us a business card origami frog fold at one convention. She employs it often at hospitals, where kids enjoy hitting the tail of the frog to make it jump. This is also effective when the kids are not able to interact beyond the glass, due to isolation rooms/units.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

If you are doing magic tricks, you are doing it wrong. Tell stories and use the trick as a visual aid. If you know Professor's Nightmare, the rope trick with a short, medium, and long rope, Rex Nolen had demonstrated using it with a story about three brothers going to a costume ball. Although one brother was quite short and another quite tall when they got to the costume store, they discovered the only costumes available were all the same size.

I have never been a fan of doing magic. I like doing the coin "story" about "Jimmy's Mom" and her three kids: Penny, Nick, and the oldest child, what was his name....

4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

You might want to check out some of the archived articles from the Hospital Clown Newsletter:

http://www.hospitalclown.com/pages/archive-2.html

I'd particularly recommended "The Gentle Art of Doing Nothing" which was offered by a friend of the forum.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

The clown skill I'm most proud of having developed and the skill that brings me the most pleasure and satisfaction performing, is story telling. With many on this forum, there appears to be an almost desperate obsession with their clowns being big, loud, showy, brash, colourful. and the gentle art of storytelling is sadly rather overlooked and much neglected. Yet in the hospital environment, it is the perfect performable skill. Done well, it's a powerful tool, with ability to move and stimulate. Take time to learn the art and practice, for done poorly, you'll bore the hell out of everyone.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. LarryTheClown

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I wasn't able to do the frog origami this time, but I'll save it for the next trip! I just got back from a gig at the Ronald McDonald House. I did some magic tricks (one of the clowns who is usually big on magic wasn't there this time, so I had to pick up the slack). This time, though, I did a lot more listening. We were invited to visit a kid in a room this time, and he and I got into a wonderful discussion over who our favorite superheroes were. And, for a change, I decided to let him do a magic trick for me. Which was very lovely, let me tell you.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. LarryTheClown

Oh I also wanted to add: there was a pretty big name football player in the same area we were in. He was serving dinner to the kids. I never really got to meet him though because as soon as I got off the elevator several kids flocked toward me, some recognizing me from the last time I was there. Part of me was a little sad that I didn't get to meet a Super Bowl champ who actually did have quite a very memorable moment on TV. But.. there's a bit of me that is a little cheered that the kids weren't too excited to see him (adults, though, were all flocking around him), but were all about what new tricks the clown can show 'em. It was really humbling, and it reminded me how important we are. Because for kids, we're the big football stars.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. maverick

maverick Member

I haven't checked lately, but if bead animals are still acceptable, I have accumulated 9 different shapes to give out. If you have some pretwisted and in special see thru bags [found in craft centers] they might create a smile.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. maverick

maverick Member

Will give this a try using an arm band and badge reel. I've used reels for heavier objects and think it will work for this.
    My routine:
    Magic rabbit appears from string
    Place business card on table
    Set rabbit on card
    Subject thinks of a card trying to send that image to the rabbit.
    The subject turns the card over and sees the card.

Magic .... no there's a 52 card picture on the back.
    I guess my Magic Rabbit is more like a WILD HARE.

I do have a routine using a magic mirror-- same gag--that will eventually show their card. Thanks for sharing.

10. maverick

maverick Member

Just tried your idea using an animal balloon tied below the elbow with a badge reel attached. Ordinary long sleeve shirt. Worked great.[with practice] this is going to be a great trick. Thank you once again Pinkberry.

11. maverick

maverick Member

This is my sleeve pull ...works great... will have a magic prop and routine to go with it very soon.

Attached Files: