1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York state of mind...

Discussion in 'The Clown Café' started by Clementine, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Clementine

Clementine New Member

Headed to New York City for a conference for work this week. Looking for clown-related activities / shops / events. I'm already looking to see if I can get tickets to Cirque for Monday night. Other suggestions? (I'm there through Wednesday evening, without a car but willing to walk up to 2 miles each way from the Hilton in Midtown.)

2. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft) Old Bucket Spitter

Tannen's. It's the only place I've ever found worth visiting in the entirety of NYC.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

I don't know what your interests and skills are like but if you want to show off and play with the public, Washington Square used to be a good place to hang out and possibly still is. I discovered Washington Square in 88 and spent a lot of time there, watching street hustlers and flim flam men ply their trade. On each successive trip to NY, I've always head there and shown off, busked and hustle myself. (Most of the slight of hand moves employed in magic, were developed by gaming cheats). Unfortunately the evil politician Rudy Giuliani destroyed much of New York's street culture and the square isn't what it used to be but I'd still go have a look.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Clementine

Clementine New Member

Ooh, don't think I'll make it to Washington Square this trip, but definitely something to stick in my back pocket for another trip. I do plan on a swing through Tannen's tomorrow night... looks like a fun stop!

5. Barry Daft (Mr. B. Daft)

Tannen's supplies pro magicians. They live for the thrill of making peoples knees go weak and eyes pop out. So don't be shy, ask people to show you things. Even the hobbyists and amateurs that go there will welcome the chance of showing off. Let them and you will see amazing things.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Clementine

Clementine New Member

Made it to Tannen's last night.. really neat to wade in and watch. Intimidating, too, for a clown barely touching magic as yet. But wow - the ideas and history in that room!

• Thanks Thanks x 2