1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first time face painting

Discussion in 'Face Painting' started by Bobert, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bobert

Bobert New Member

So I got me some facepaint supplies, and my amazing wife was kind enough to let me practice on her. It was my first time ever face painting, so any constructive critiques would be welcomed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the bright side I have a friend who does facepainting for money and she said she would split a gig with me she has in a couple weeks, if i can make it. So that's a good thing right?

Also my wife was quite wiggly while I was trying to work, I imagine kids will be the same or worse, any tips on that?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

The Pirate and starry night looks like a totally different artist did them. The cheek art is amazing and looks like it would be time consuming with speed when doing a gig. You got some great stroke control and really great shadowing in the others. Do you mind if i ask what brand of paint you were using?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Thanks for the kind words. Pirate and starry night look like a different artist did them, good, or bad? I used snazaroo, I also have some elmer's brand but I haven't used any of it. I get a good deal on both of them where I work :). I hope they are both good brands.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Elmers I've never worked with Snazaroo is very good you may wanna get some Wolfe brothers white and black are excellent for line work, they give great coverage and strong color. Clown Antics,com or ebay has sellers that sell it reasonably. If your gonna do this Wolfe B AND W are a must have. I was asking to be sure it was quality paint for shows. There is lots of crap paint in stores the stuff flakes off quick or stains the skin and some people even use acrylics which is really bad. The cheek art is really good I would never have guessed it was your first go at it. As for the starry night pull the blue around the eye more and down the cheeck to it looks more like a starry night then a slightly off Sorcerer Micky Hat.The Pirate didn't seem to have same coverage of paint on the bandanna. To make the beard better I would look into a stipple sponge to make it Look more nature or dry Brush over the base to give it more depth. Also add some highlights to the scar yo make it pop. a few tweaks and it could be as good as the smaller designs. But I'm Just one opinion Talk with your friend and see what they think to match or elevate the skill of full face. If they do it regularly they will have speed tricks for you and other designs to practice. MY Arch nemesis is the tiger face I can't seem to get the lines right. Good luck if they give you that to try. LOL

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Thanks a lot those are super helpful critiques, I'll try and work on those, and look into the wolf B&W. I also have some stencils that are reusable and will stick on a face for quick work, but I haven't tried them yet, they are also by snazaroo, I have the boy, girl, and unisex packs (like I said work discount ;) ) I think there is a tiger in one of those packs, so i might have to cheat it :p I've done art and drawing for years, even went to college for it, so I assume it gives me a small advantage with this. I might have a stipple sponge in some Halloween make up someone gave me, I'll have to check.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

Be sure you have some insurance either through COAI or WCA alot here have both because don't want to accidently stick a paint brush in some kids eyes who to has to go to the emergency room and not be protected.

7. Pinkie Bee

Pinkie Bee New Member

Mark Reed is the tiger face Master and a great influence for me

8. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I avoid the cheek art designs as much as I can. They take much more talent to make them look good because they usually require fine details. Many of the full face designs use the model's real eyes, nose, and mouth in the designs which make it easier. You can make a kid look like a dog easier than you can draw a small dog on a cheek as the small one requires drawing the eyes, nose and mouth.

The ghostbuster designs look great.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

also check out Sillyfarm they have a great selection and often have teaching video's available. Try differnent brands you every one has their fav. I prodominately use paradise but some kryolan, ben nye powders etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Twinkles

Twinkles New Member

Welcome to the world of face painting :) It's a ton of fun..
    I also sell all the top face paint product lines, and would be happy to help you find what works best for *you* :) http://theclassyclown.com/store.htm

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. tippy

tippy New Member

Is face painting hard to do? Do you have to have artistic abilities?

12. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

I think getting some type of design book or templates can help at first.

13. Amber Knight

Amber Knight New Member

Hi there, I love to do face apinting.

14. Face painting for the first time can definitely be nerve-wracking but it looks like you are already off to a great start! Like others said, using some templates can help direct you at first. Also, just PRACTICE AND PRACTICE! Nothing can replace the hours behind the paint brush. Take a look at others work and try copying them at first and then doing your own personal variations.

http://www.facepaintingadventures.com/

15. Alice Mangual

Alice Mangual New Member

I did my first painting when I was in college. I had participated in the face painting competition that time.