1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first costume idea. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by disco moon, Jun 5, 2017.

1. disco moon

disco moon New Member

received_1141823575922575.jpeg
    First I drew a basic outline of myself and wrote down my features and attributes. :p received_1141823632589236.jpeg Then I came up with a feminine pastel costume. This is a rough draft so far. I was thinking she could hold a basket that has flowers in it. As you can see, there are flowers on her shoulders, elbows, and in her hair, maybe on her shoe tops too. She juggles scarves and has cute animal puppet friends, she face paints too, and hula hoops!:D She has many slips under her skirt and bloomers to give it a very cartoonish affect.

I haven't designed the face, mostly because I want to when I have makeup. But I've been coloring ideas on paper.

I wonder if I should have more traditional shades of color? Or if I should change the outfit? I'm liking her vibe so far.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

Hi Flower:
    Very cool! You have an idea about what you want to do, run with it! It's not about what other people think, it's about what you want to do. That is what's great about clowning, do what what you want to do. Do not be insecure and need to garner others opinions, or you will not be the clown you want to be. Let YOUR clown flag fly! If you like it, run with it. I have learned that asking opinions on this board is an invitation for insecure naysayers to vent their opinions, don't pay attention to any of it! Do what you want to do! I think your drawings are awesome! As for makeup, are you thinking Whiteface or Auguste?
    WN

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Mavis Pierrot

Mavis Pierrot New Member

I'm a fan of this look and i'm absolutely in love with that hair. It's nice and colorful but it doesn't look like unicorn vomit. I'm liking the concept~ Do you know how to sew? It'd be cool to see this design come to life. I think it's super pretty.

But that's just my opinion~

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

No and no!

You have a fantastic, unique sense of style and should go with those instincts!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. disco moon

disco moon New Member

I'm thinking whiteface for this one, but not sure quite yet :cool:

6. disco moon

disco moon New Member

Well, I have sewn a bit and am saving up for a sewing machine. So yes one day I want to have a closet of clown clothes(my dream anyway) ;)

7. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

I really like it! I've only been clowning for a couple years, but here's what I learned almost immediately about costumes.

Depending on where you're going to be clowning and the time of year, multiple layers of costume can get pretty warm which may or may not be a bad thing. So you might want to think about ways to "scale" your costume up or down such as with the multiple layers of skirts.

Another thing you might want to think about are pockets or some other method like a small bag for transporting any props like the puppets and scarves you'll be using. I don't like to carry around lots of "stuff", but the first pair of pants I had for my costume only had the normal pockets and they quickly filled with balloons and stickers and my juggling balls on top of the normal stuff I need to carry like keys, my wallet, and my phone. It's amazing how even the small things can take up a lot of space. You don't need to use pockets, but you will probably want something to carry stuff.

• Thanks Thanks x 2