1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Characters?

Discussion in 'Costumes' started by lawmanmedic, Apr 17, 2016.

1. lawmanmedic

lawmanmedic New Member

Does anyone other than myself have an alternate character? Out of necessity, and to prevent my white tux from being ruined, I had to come up with an alter-ego character. My original character is "Chubby the Orange Blosson Special" who wears a white tuxedo trimmed in orange piping and orange bandanas; his not-so-refined practical joking twin brother is "Tubby the Rodeo Clown." With the aid of some digital manipulation, I was able to get them photographed together and use them as my avitar. ubby brothers.jpg

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

When I first got started, I picked two names for two clowns, one a whiteface and one an auguste. Now, I don't bother changing names if I change costumes and makeup. I don't actively go out to book parties as a clown as I never created a magic show or other performance. I will do charity events, parades, and face painting or balloons. I will mainly do a full whiteface clown with wig for events where it will be cool enough. For outdoor events in the summer, I go with an auguste look, often skip the wig, and wear short sleeves and shorts (both would be problems for a whiteface).

I know people who use a clown character for hospital and nursing home visits. Some of these places appreciate a lite style makeup and many clowns will adopt a doctor style outfit to wear. For a parade or alley type event, I am not marketing myself, but the alley, so I am less concerned if I want to wear something special that fits the theme of the event.

If you are marketing yourself to the public, then having a standard name and look can help with branding. If people go to your website and see your photos, they will know who to expect when you show up at their event.

3. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

I also had two, started out white face , but gradually my clown changed and I created my auguste which is now about the only one I use. I know of several that started out as one type, created another and gradually stopped their original one.

4. WillyNilly

WillyNilly Member

I'm going through that evolution right now. I got out of clowning for a few years and have grown a beard I am currently fond of. Won't work with previous whiteface, so I'm adopting a tramp pirate character I think will work. I'll post photos when costuming is done. You can also follow the progression on Forum thread "time for a new look, inviting opinions".
    WN