1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MENTORING By Punkin

Discussion in 'Party Clowning' started by Punkin, May 29, 2015.

1. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

How many of you guys have had a mentor? Did they help you?? Have you or are you currently mentoring someone? I've mentored quite a few clowns in my time, but I have this one particular clown I'm working with now who's being a huge pain in my backside. He doesn't seem to pay a lot of attention. I think I need to beat him over the head with his own 260's..........I've done that before.

2. Simply A. Clown

Simply A. Clown New Member

Hello, I just have one question, when do you know if you are ready to try to be a clown at a party, library, and get paid for it? When do you know you have arrived at that point so you can try?

3. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hi Simply A. Clown............My mentoring skills apparently leave something to be desired since my student from last year was unsatisfied with my help.......so I'm going to ask a couple of my other clown friends here on the forum to help you. I'll email them and ask that they answer your question here.

4. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

Have you honed your craft. Have you put together a solid routine, are you confident that you can hold a crowds attention. Have you done shows for friends? what is your skill set? Its hard to know what advice to give with no background knowledge. Me I started doing shows for friends and then worked a few shows cheap as i cut my teeth in performing. If your doing balloons and feel that you can hold your own with them try some street performing Check your local laws you dont want to get in trouble with no licence. Here where im at a performance licence is $25 it was free years ago. If you make money you may be ready. If Magic is your thing try doing a show for a library and Have a friend hand out Comment cards to adult guest as they were with the library or better yet an agent to get feed back. Balloons you can do the same thing. But before you try getting paid to perform id highly suggest getting insurance its about the same cost about 150$ from either World Clown Association WCA.com or Clowns of America International COAI.Com .both offer about the same and with a membership they both have helpful magazines.

You will know in your heart when your ready. I knew i was after volunteer gigs i was asked to do parties. I started as a balloonist and worked shows that way and put a small show together from that that was well received then branched to birthday parties. Magic Came next studied hard spent money to put together a show from that and then added it to my birthdays as new package. then ran with that. Face paint was next. never stop learning you grow as your skills grow and so does the demand for those skills

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Being a clown and performing mean something different depending upon who you ask. What do you want to do at a birthday party, library, other event? Are you going to perform a magic show, work with puppets, lead the kids in games? If you have family with kids, that can be a safe environment to test out new material. Put on a show for your nieces and nephews, grandchildren, cousins, neighbors or whoever.

If you aren't sure what to do, find other entertainers in your area. Look for a clown alley, magician ring (they are often associated with either SAM: Society of American Magicians or IBM: International Brotherhood of Magicians), look for face painters and balloon twisters who hold jams for entertainers, find a group that does juggling. By networking with other local entertainers you can find out about opportunities to perform.

6. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

You sort of just say yes to everything you reasonably can. (If you can handle it, you try. If you can't, you politely decline.) Your audience will tell you if you were ready or not. You learn from the experience and grow.

7. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

I have met lots of people who were willing to help me with my clowning. I would not be the clown that I am today with out them. I thank them all so much they have help change my life to the good.
    There was one person who I truely would call my mentor. He was very patience with me showing me things over and over to me.He was one of the best clowns in the Midwest. Sadly we lost him in May and now he clowning in a better place.
    Rollo Harlem Pierson you are miss

• Friendly Friendly x 1