1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mary Tyler Moore

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by Punkin, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Just finished watching the special on Mary Tyler Moore....it's weird, because I felt really bad when Lucy, Red, and Freddie Prinze passed.............they were some of my favorites............but Mary....for some reason her death is really hitting me hard. Maybe it's because she was one of my 'Big Three' heroes..........or maybe it was because I was a single office working girl when her show was on..........or maybe it's the Mustang in the beginning credits...............the one that looked like mine.....I actually cried during the show. I'm not an Oprah fan, but was happy to see that she, too was a big Mary fan. RIP Mary........you touched a lot of hearts..............[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I guess I never quite realized how important of a cultural figure she was to people of a certain age. But, indeed, her passing seems to have brought it out in the many tributes and reflections offered.

But, to me, she was just Dick VanDyke's silly sidekick. And, while a memorable actress whose legacy will live on, not quite someone on the level of other comic legends, in my personal perception.

Of course, I don't quite grasp the whole Camelot mentality that developed after the Kennedy brothers were killed, either.

I guess you had to be there.

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

How many actors or actresses today have a show named after them? (not including news or talk shows). Cosby and Newhart are the last two I can think of.

Growing up in the 1970s, I was too young to watch the Mary Tyler Moore show... or at least to want to watch it. I definitely know who she is/was, but would agree that she wasn't Carol Burnett or Lucy.

4. Indecisive

Indecisive Active Member

You must not remember much there are plenty shows named after the stars in them. Like a little show called Seinfeld and more recently Kevin Can Wait.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Sorry, never heard of him.

6. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

It's Kevin James.

You know... the King of Queens.

7. Punkin

Punkin Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha..........I don't think that Kevin James is in the same category as Mary Tyler Moore, Lucy, and Red. I think he needs a few more years in the acting business.

8. chinese buffet

chinese buffet New Member

I agree, I liked Mary but despise of Oprah.

9. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Oh, didn't I see him perform at a drag show in Boystown?

(I think Mary Tyler More would be a great drag name, too.)