1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Makeup tips?

Discussion in 'Newbies to clowning' started by Squirty, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Squirty

Squirty New Member

I finally did another gig and took the time to get a picture of myself. I'm still practicing at getting the makeup better and I'll take any tips the pros nose to try out next time.

Since this is my first face (I've done the makeup only a handful of times) I think it comes out fairly simple. I get the feeling it lacks personality. I'm thinking of changing up the eyebrows, but I'm not sure to what yet. Taking any thoughts... Go ahead, I can take it. I don't cry...much.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

I would still do arch white eye brows but not as high. Also you need to work on your mouth and bring out red around the lips. For me the mouth is the hardest and I continue to work on mine. See if you can find an exepirence clown in your area that can see you in person that will help. My look took a turn for the better when I was person that our clown alley chose to make over on night we had on make up. Remember you are work in process, don't give on and good luck to you

3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

The colors seem a bit muted, might be the powder hasn't settled.

I don't color my whole lower lip, just the center leaving about a quarter inch from each side. I have also switched to using black for my lip. When using red, I outline the bottom with black to further define the shape.

I can't say for sure, but the muzzle area might be too big. Ideally, the makeup should help show the movement and expressions of the face. Each face is different, but I have heard others say the muzzle shouldn't be wider than the eyes as the movement when you talk and smile is usually closer to the mouth.

As the Normal One said, the same would hold true for the brows. You shouldn't extend the white above the point where the movement stops when you raise your eyebrows.

4. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

What a great start!! The make-up and costume read well from a distance as well as close up.

As has been mentioned, the only change I would advise is to bring in the white in a little, so it doesn't cover so much of the face. Or, perhaps, you could go for a complete whiteface. Also, maybe add some color to the cheeks.

5. sillydaddyatl

sillydaddyatl Member

I'm far from a pro, but I think I've got a pretty good handle on the makeup side of things. I don't think there's anything wrong with simple, and if you've only done the makeup a handful of times, I think you're off to a good start.

A few thoughts....

If you're going to do your muzzle that big, I would try and add some pips at the corners of your mouth and maybe bring the lower lip down a bit below your natural lip line especially in the center of your mouth. I think of it this way: our natural mouth has two lips, but as clowns we paint one of them all white so it disappears which effectively erases 1/3 to 1/2 of the size of our natural mouth so sometimes only painting our mouth the size of our natural lower lip isn't quite enough to get the proportion right to the rest of our face.

You could also experiment and bring the muzzle in so that red line around it lands where your cheeks have a bunch of movement. OR maybe just curl the line near your nose down around your cheek a bit and see what happens.

A reason you might feel like the makeup currently lacks personality might be because where you have features painted right now might not move as much as other parts of your face. For example, as someone mentioned your eyebrows are pretty high so they probably don't move much and don't express as much. If you can get the parts of your face that move accented, the makeup should accentuate your personality and probably feel like it has more personality. If the makeup doesn't move with your expressions, it will appear to be more like a mask.

Something you can do when you put your makeup on is to take photos of yourself making a bunch of different expressions. Then look at them later on and see if you can read what expression you're making. You can also show them to friends and family and see if they can tell what emotion you're trying to coney. When I've done this, I also shrink the photos down and/or zoom them out so my face is smaller to get an idea of what things look like from a distance.

If it were me, I would also probably experiment with softening the blue eyeshadow a bit and maybe take it a little higher as well. I'd probably also add some black eyeliner below the eye from the outside to about halfway in, and then maybe add some mascara to your top lashes. This will help define your eyes and probably make them seem bigger.

Outside of that, just keep practicing and playing. When I was first getting started with makeup, I'd sit down in front of the mirror when I had time and just practice techniques and design stuff. I'd do a line, wipe it off, and then do it again until I got more consistent. When there was time, I'd do a full face and then make lots of faces at myself in the mirror to see what works and what I like and can pull off successfully.

For example, eyebrows have always been hard for me so I tried doing them with pencils, brushes, templates, etc. It took a lot of practice to find something that worked for my facial expressions that I could repeat. So don't be afraid to practice and just have fun with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1