1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make-up HELP??????????????

Discussion in 'The Clown Forum' started by Mindy, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mindy

Mindy New Member

I am an Auguste face clown. I realized this morning that my red cheeks and red mouth do not show up the way they did when I was a White Face. I was taught that you use powder to set the make-up. So when I changed from white to Auguste, I changed from baby powder to a translucent face powder. WHAT CAN I DO to make the red show up better?????
    Please help!!!
    Mindy:cry:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Dylan

Dylan New Member

I use baby powder and I am an auguste, also can we see a close up of just your face?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

What makeup are you using Sunshine? Are you using a base auguste color? If not, are you very tan, or if so is it a dark base? Very often the powder will seem to mute the colors for a few minutes after applying. As the body's natural moisture absorbs any extra powder the colors tend to "brighten" back up.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. ibimus

ibimus New Member

Can you add some contrasting colour around the red? Blues and greens with make the red seem even redder.
    Also, watch out when you powder. It's easy to use too much, and that could be part of your problem.

I actually don't powder at all. I find that my makeup stays on just as well without powder as it does with, and at least without powder the colours are very vibrant. Maybe try going sans powder, and see what happens!

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

I like you Dottie but I think that cotton candy hair dye sank through to your brain. Powder, powder, powder. It is to easy to touch your makeup, with your costume, your hands or even someone else. Also, even though we are using greese paint and not a waterbase it is still sucseptible to sweat, it does contribute to the breakdown of the makeup. This is also one of the things that seperate professionals from the rest. When you see that "high gloss" finish on a neighborhood clown 9 times out of 10 (you being the exception) it is one good indication they have no real idea what they are doing. Especially during long gigs or when you are really working. There are plenty of color options. Mehron makes a wonderful blush powder called wineberry that is a red fuschia, it really stands out.

I think I hear my soapbox starting to crack. I am going to step down now.

• Thanks Thanks x 16
    • Laugh Laugh x 8
  6. ashes

ashes New Member

I pat my face with a damp paper towel after powdering.

I know Fitzwilly's take on it is to leave the excess powder on
    (after brushing off what you can) and it will get gradually absorbed.

(I hope I'm paraphrasing you correctly here, Fitzwilly)

A lot of it depends on the temperature and humidity of where
    I will be performing - and indoors vs outdoors.

Ashes

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  7. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

You did indeed Ashes. I know numerous clowns who have been taught to spritz, or in some way remove the excess powder. I was talking to a few professional makeup artists at a Halloween and party trade show a few years when the topic was brought up and I learned from a number of quite vocal professionals with strong opinions on the subject why it worked towards defeating the use of powder in the first place.

Your last line Ashes brings up a very good point. Tempertaure, humidity, indoors or outdoors really makes a difference on how much stress you put on your makeup. Also, I forget, I started right from the beginning being in clown for hours and hours at a time. If I hadn't powdered well my makeup wouldn't hold up and sometimes I would be trying to repair my makeup in the middle of a show when I had 30 seconds or a minute off stage. For light sweaters, working in a nice air conditioned space, for a short time and not being quite as zany as Fitzwilly I can see where your makeup might hold up really well even after spritzing. I would look like I was melting.

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  8. Mindy

Mindy New Member

Thanks

Yes, Dylan, next week, I'll try to get a close up of my face. However, I'll be home alone & it may be difficult. May have to wait until the following week when my husband is home on Wednesday (my "clowning" day) and get him to do that for me.

I use Ben Nye for the Auguste base, Mehron grease crayons for my "rainbow" eyes and actually use Revlon lipstick for my heart cheeks and mouth. I've been using regular translucent face powder but have ordered some powder from Bubbas Clown Supplies that says it's specifically for Auguste clowns.

I've been putting the powder on with a brush and then brushing off the excess immediately. I bought a puff and will try putting it on with the puff, waiting for a few minutes and brushing off the excess.

I outline the mouth and heart cheeks with black eyeliner.....is that necessary? or would it be better without the black? I do line the eyes after I have made my rainbow. Also anyone know where I could get deep purple eyeshadow for the rainbow? Right now all I have is a pale lavender.

Thanks for all your advice!!!
    Mindy

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Outlining your mouth and hearts... that is more of a toss up. Part personal oppinion and in part how clean your lines are in general. Try both ways, take a picture of each and then at different times look at both pictures. Which one seems friendlier, more inviting, nicer. If you will be dealing with little, little children then maybe no lines would help create a softer, less scary look for the wee lads and lassies. If you are going to be working larger groups you might decide on the lines because they help define your mouth from a distnce.

As for the purple, Ben Nye makes as least two different dark purples one leaning towards blue and one leaning towards red (Just a couple of independants, one more liberal and the other more conservative...) If you don't have a regular Ben Nye supplier. Call Fun F/X next week (574) 272-7890 and I will probably be the one answering the phone.

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  10. ibimus

ibimus New Member

RED powder? Seriously? That sounds very cool! Off the Mehron website I go... :)

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. ibimus

ibimus New Member

Max Factor also carries bold eyeshadows, and is fairly easy to find in a pinch.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Dottie, did you see the post listing the ingredients in the different clown whites? The regular whites apply quite a bit differently but the contents aren't that different but the clown white lites are completely different. I found it... interesting, but then I minored in Chemistry because it was fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

It was only a minor explosion... Honest.

• Laugh Laugh x 5
  14. GabbyGayle

GabbyGayle New Member

my take on makeup is quite classic, i suppose. im not a fan of circles or triangles or hearts. i dont outline anything. im very basic in my makeup anymore. my aviator doesnt even show my newest, lightes makeup. i find that the geometric shapes help steer children away, rather than closer. i feel that makeup should generally be just an exagerraion of what is already there. but the bigger, bolder, non existing features are frightening to many. my best friend used to be absolutely afraid of clowns, but i concluded she was afraid of the mask, which is the general reason most are scared. the "crazy antics" the weird voice, the abnormal look. i put my white on to illustrate my eyes, and just a dab around my mouth now. then, i do heart-esque lips... and sometimes freckles (i have tons naturally), or depending on the situation, one marilyn monroe style beauty mark.

i understand eveyone has their own take on color and style, thats just my 2 cents.

oh, the topic?? whoops, almost forgot ( borrowed someones soapbox... tee hee)
    i always powder. sometimes twice. once, brush, then damp cloth the parts i want to be bright- lips, cheeks. repeat.

i always use professional grade makeup. always.
    one can spot the non professional makup in a heartbeat- 5 miles away. $20.00 can set you apart- if you havent spent it.

also, blend blend blend. again with the "kids are scared"--- shiney faces do not equal a natural look.

and, i exit left.

• Laugh Laugh x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. ibimus

ibimus New Member

I don't remember ever seeing that....was this an older thread? Sounds interesting!

16. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

What is in that Clown White?

It was messy too! :splatter: Almost turned me into a whiteface. :cry: Glad I was able to get that stuff off. :)

Hey Luki, I like the new (newer?) look. Very sharp. I especially like the hat. It kind of reminds me of a gambler style cowboy hat. The kind like Maverik always wore. Very cool.

I'll cut and paste the info.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibimus [​IMG]
    Dan, I'm just using the basic Mehron. Nothing fancy!

And I have not yet tried Ben Nye.....I've heard good things about them, but I'm still a little wary to make any changes.......do you know if they are petroleum free?

Tim. Oh. My. I don't even know what to say. hahahaha!!!

Clown White Ingredient list:

Mehron: Petrolatum, mineral oil, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, beeswax, Ozokerite, C12-15, Alcohols Benzoate, Lanolin, Titanium Dioxide, Talc

Ben Nye: Petrolatum, Cl No.77891 (Tianium Dioxide), Cl No.77947 (Zinc Oxide), Cera Alba (Beeswax), Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Talc, Lanolin, Proplyparben. PARFUM FREE

Mehron Lite: Acetylated Lanolin Alcohol, Ozokerite, Petrolatum, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Synthetic Wax, Titanium Dioxide

Ben Nye Lite: Octyl Palmitate, Carnuba Wax, Ceresin, Beeswax, Butylparaben, BHA, BHT,

May Contain: Iron Oxides, Titanium Dioxide, Talc, D&C Yellow 30, D&C Red 7, D&C Red 6, Castor Oil, Methyl Ricinoleae, Octyldodecanol, Candellila Wax, Cetyl Alcohol, Mineral Oil, Hydrogenated Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Aluminum Startch Octenylsuccinate, Petrolatum, Polyisobutene, Microcrystalline Wax, Dimethicone PARFUM FREE.

And that is your chemistry lesson for his week boys and girls.

See if you can make heads or tails out of those ingredients Dottie!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. ibimus

ibimus New Member

Dan, I can't even pronounce half of those words....my goodness. That's kind of terrifying, actually!

And now the search will begin for organic, natural makeup. :D And if I can't find it, I'll make some! :D

18. Patches

Patches New Member

Now, now Ibimus, don't be afraid of items containing chemicals just because they aren't organic. The push for "organic" foods is often laughable to those of us with science backgrounds (biology and physics for me.) Just pick a reputable company and enjoy your clown make-up! :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

I agree with Jeff. Ben Nye and Mehron are both very respectable companies and work very hard to make sure their makeup is hypoallergenic and safe for extended periods of time. For a start you could look up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for each of the chemicals. Actual this would be kind of fun. To make your own you would need to buy make-up grade Titianium Dioxide from a chemical supply house and then blend it with a semi-solid base. One problem would be that you would not be able to keep it on hand for very long. That means you most likely would be mixing up a new batch before every performance. It would take a number of samples to know the proper combination of ingredients for good coverage and lasting power. It is doable but not cheap and not easy, and very time and space consuming.

20. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

I used to eat only all natural foods then I heard people die of natural causes too.

• Laugh Laugh x 12