1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning how to pass clubs.

Discussion in 'Juggling' started by Pinky the Clown, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

For those that pass clubs, what were some key things that helped you to learn? What are some things I can do to smooth out my first few tosses and smooth out my rhythm when I am juggling by myself? Any insight in regards to this will be helpful as I hope to start learning how to pass soon. Problem is that I don't know anyone in my area to practice with and have to wait for conventions to work on this.

2. Pinky the Clown

I went to the Ringling Brother's Dragons show and asked one of the clowns the same question. They showed me one of the excercises they do to get their clowns ready to pass. They have someone hold a club and then the juggler has to juggle three clubs around the club that is helf in front of them. They said that if I hit the club in this exercise then there is a better chance are that the clubs will hit each other when I try to pass. SO I just need to find a fourth club that someone can hold in front of me so I can toss my clubs around it without touching the club that is held in front of me.....OK I am doing a terrible job explaining it but was glad to learn an exercise by hanging out at their pre-show. I am not afraid to ask questions.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. SCOOP

SCOOP Ace Reporter

before you can think about passing you have to have real good control of your own pattern that means also that it doesn't take 2 to 3 throws to get into a good pattern cause allot of passers like to start with the first throw as a pass also known as a fast start.
    in my opinion it will take someone that can already pass to really help you and a good excersize is to start with 1 club and pass that to another who can already pass that way you can practice your throws to the other. this is important cause if you throw bad more then likely your going to receive a bad throw. as you get comfy hold 2 clubs and try having to pass then vamp to yourself as you catch thier pass when you feel good there try 3 clubs. please remember i posted this at 4:34 am if it doesn't make sense i am sorry lol

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Laugh Laugh x 1
  4. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Balance on your feet. If you're steady eddy, it will help with your tosses a ton whether you're just cascading by yourself or trying to pass with others.

Also, from a practical standpoint, it helps to be able to consistently throw and catch double spins.

As always, one of my consistent pieces of advice is to just throw a solid set of limited tosses (say six or twelve) with a good start, solid run, and properly caught - as this reinforces one's muscle memory to do things right without thinking about it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Something simple to help you prepare to pass clubs is to practice random double spins. Catching these will help you with the rotation on your throwing, and will also help you catch a less than perfect throw.

Second, practice juggling clubs without spins. On youtube, if you look up Get the Shoe, the routine will show you what I am talking about. This also helps you really learn the art of spinning the club (or lack thereof)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Pinky the Clown

Guess I should start learning doubles.

7. Pinky the Clown

I tried doubles with one club for the first time. A little scary seeing that club go up that high and my arms hurt for a couple of days. Will have to ease into this adventure. A little more scary than when Tim passed me a club. Start with one. :0)

8. rosesnowm

rosesnowm New Member

If you're steady eddy, it will help with your tosses a ton whether you're just cascading by yourself or trying to pass with others.

9. Dylan

Dylan Active Member

Here is my tips for learning to pass:

the easy way - have someone that knows how to pass really well to learn with. That way they can catch all your garbage throws. This allows you to learn and them to improve.

the hard way - practice passing balls a bunch. Then you and your partner just practice throwing to each other. Each hold two clubs and pass one back and forth. juggle-juggle-pass. Remember to throw with your right hand. Then go for it.

the hardcore way - This is how my brother taught me. Torches. You learn really fast and it is crazy.

Tips on making it easier:
    What we call the metal stance. Imagine you are playing guitar in a metal band. One foot in front of the other, knees bent and bob a little while passing.

Accuracy counts. Practice your throws.

Catching. Catch everything. Learn how to pick up in pattern. There is a lot of time during passing to do other things... like pick up that club you just dropped.

Best tip is to go to a juggling festival, or if you are in colorado shoot me a message.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  10. OkiDoki

OkiDoki New Member

Whahaha great the hardcore way. Starting with torches:applause::D:applause: