1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kluge Childrens Hospital

Discussion in 'Hospital Clowning' started by Doolittle Klown, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Doolittle Klown

Doolittle Klown New Member

Does anyone do Hospital Clowning? I had my first go at it last night and it was great. We did the Kluge Children Hospital Christmas party last evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a very moving experience for me to see all of these kids with their disability's and still being happy and enjoying themselves with Santa Claus and his Clown helpers. If you've never done something like this, I recommend you give it a try. It sure made a difference with me and my clowning. I hope to continue doing events like this in the future as I feel that if I can put a smile on one of these little kids faces that have it so rough then I'll have really made a positive difference in someones life and therefore Doolittle will have done what he is meant to be doing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Jodie

Jodie New Member

We do hospital volunteering clowning once a month, not only for the children but adults also, oh and the staff too. It is one of my favorite clowning events.
    Not only do the patients get blessing from it, us clowns are also blessed by it.
    It may be the only thing they have to smile about for that day. We are stoped in the halls many time to see if we would stop at so and so room. Of course we are glad to do so.
    Of course you will have to call upon the volunteer's office to see if they will accept you coming in as a clown and what you can and can not do.
    Another good place to do volunteer clowning is at a locial nursing homes, some of the residents never have a vistor. Some will want to talk and some will just be happy to see you. Some may not even want you there, always ask if you can come in. DO NOT be affended if they don't want you there . It may just be a bad day for them and the next person my not want you to leave. I love collecting smiles and passing them on.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Skooter_Silly_Willy

Skooter_Silly_Willy New Member

heya jodie.. send me a message about when you go.. would be glad to join even if it is a drive.

4. millicent

millicent New Member

wow how rewarding. Well done you. All those poor little mites. They deserve the best for all their suffering.
    Old peoples homes, hmmm theres one just up the street. I wonder if they would like a visit by little ted?

5. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Millicent.
    I'm sure they would. Not sure about the U.K. but in the U.S. we go talk to the activity director or social worker. They would be the people to talk to about coming in.
    Sara K.

6. millicent

millicent New Member

Hi Sara, thanks for that, will def be approaching them. Also there is a home for the mentally disabled eg downs syndrome, which is just opposite the nursing home. I twisted some balloons for them last year and it was hard to tell who was having the better time, me or the residents.
    Sometimes i just dont want the day to end cos im hooked on creating smiles. I bet all the entertainers on here feel the same, what a wonderful pastime.

7. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Millicent,
    Just a heads up but one of the main things to watch for is latex allergies, with all "Special" populations. (I know it's not politically correct -differently abled individuals O.K.)
    S.K.

8. amifunny

amifunny Member

I visited several Hospitals this Christmas as Santa Claus. I am going to do my first visit to a hospital next week to deliver flowers/balloons and do a short performance as Mitty...looking for good adult bits.