1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiddieland is Closing

Discussion in 'Events and Announcements' started by tim, May 21, 2009.

1. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

I can't believe Six Flags would actually take the Lil' Dipper. If they do, great, but seriously - a manually operated wooden roller coaster moved to Six Flags? It would be easier for them to just trash it and build a new one with the same design.

2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Yeah I was kinda thinking the same thing. But it can be done. Still, it's going to cost a lot more than the 36 grand they paid for that wood. Somehow, I suspect that what you said is more like what will happen. They'll dismantle this one, copy the design, salvage some cars and signage.

Man, I wouldn't want to wait in line for that ride at Six Flags.

3. tim

4. tim

Need a fridge? Perhaps some other knickknack? One last chance at the liquidation sale this Saturday.

(You know, I never saw whether someone bought the clown carvings.)

Kiddieland Amusement Park - Melrose Park Illinois

Wow. I just realized that knickknack is one of a very few words in the English language with a double k. Can you name another?

5. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to go to the liquidation sale... but I won't be in Chicago for two weeks. Are you going?

6. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

bookkeeper
    jackknife
    trekking
    yakking
    does Hanukkah count?

7. tim

Wow, Princess! I wish you were at my side in high school algebra class. The instructor used to offer Friday "Grace questions" (or as he jokingly called them: "I don't know any math so maybe I can get one of these right!") as addenda to quizzes. Novelty things like completing the commercial script. ("You'll wonder where the yellow went," I discovered, was not the pitch for my incorrect guess of "Tidy Bowl." I did, however, prove to be the only student who knew that "Polo" was the game with seven chuckers!) One of his favorite questions was the double k thing. To which, he insisted, "bookkeeper" was the sole possible response. Many came up with Hanukkah, but he denied us extra credit because it was an alliteration from another language.

Leave it to the girl to solve the word puzzle for a math class! Next time I see him (as I occasionally still do) I'm offering your list!

8. tim

Probably not. I just pains me to think of the park not being there in the way it always has. It will be hard enough to pass by on my way to a clown club meeting and see the lot totally empty after the new year. To be on the property at this point is just something I'd rather not experience.

That said, I could use a new stove. And there are certainly some trinkets of memorabilia which would be nice to pick up.

9. azzy

azzy Yes, We Have No Bananas

I've got 4 tokens from the kiddie-land arcade, those I'll hold on to forever. Or use at the car-wash...

...What?

10. tim

Try to find someone who bought one of the skee ball alleys and you'll have somewhere to use them.

• Laugh Laugh x 1
  11. tim

So Santa's Village is re-opening... sort of.

Welcome to the Azoosment Park!

Santa's Village: East Dundee amusement park reopening as a zoo - WGN

Well, it's an interesting concept. And, considering the history of Santa's Village and animals, it seems sorta fitting. It's also kinda quaint. I wonder whether it will last long term. Here's hoping it has a chance to grow. It does seem positive that there will at least be some sort of small family oriented entertainment place like this. Maybe they'll eventually be able to add extra rides or whatever. I could see where the Kiddieland kind of rides would fit in well with their sort of setup if the ability to invest in such is eventually available. And, most of all, I really hope that the cool pastel buildings are still a part of the experience. It even sounds like they plan to be open around Christmas time with reindeer rides!

I know that *I* want to go. Who's up for a clown-forum field trip?!

As for the Kiddieland site, I was by it in Spring, but after dark. I couldn't see much. Some of the structures (like the sign and the train station) remained. That was consoling, if melancholic, to witness them standing there empty and alone; knowing that they were no longer anything more than the remnants of a ghost town which would never see life breathed into them again. Still the memories made me smile just a bit, while crying inside. But the parking lot and area where rides once were could be seen as obviously abandoned, with what belonged in its place standing there no more. I was glad it dark and I couldn't perceive the full reality. Again, I passed on Labor Day, this time while it was light out. Everything is gone. New structure is being build for Costco Land or whatever it will become. I wonder whether the store will at least put a mechanical pony ride outside its doors for the fun and edification of children as well as some small reminder of what the place long has offered for us all.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  12. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

I use to live by North and Thatcher in Elmwood Park which is very close to Kiddieland. I drove by it all the time when I lived there. I am sad to see it go.

13. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I wouldn't normally expect a zoo to open its doors in September, but I guess if it will be open year round, any month is as good as the rest. If I was opening a business on the old Santa's Village property, I would definitely try to make it a Christmas or Holiday themed place.

14. tim

They apparently have ponies. I would imagine that they'll have pony rides. I'm thinking it could be a place where they might eventually host birthday parties or picnics. One would imagine that a horse drawn carriage would be a cool concept. Maybe they'll have a Halloween theme event in coming weeks? Perhaps even some sort of Cinderella/Pumpkin ride? Hay rides! Or handcars. I could definitely see lots of potential for this if it establishes itself and proves somewhat successful to the extent that they can pay their bills and invest. But what really concerns me is that this is just sort of a temporary situation until the housing market improves and the owner of the property is able to better develop it for profit. I imagine that the zoo is renting space rather than having outright purchased the land.

15. tim

I want to ride a pig!

16. Squiggles

Squiggles New Member

The choo choo train from kiddie land is now running at the Heston steam show in LaPorte Indiana.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Barb "Stuffy" Foley

Barb "Stuffy" Foley New Member

I never went to Santa's Village. It is sort of sad because I am an ice skater and they had an ice rink called the Polar Dome. I lived in Roseland in the 1950's and used to got to Kiddieland on 95th and Stoney Island. My folks didn't have a car and we had to take a streetcar and 2 buses to get there. My parents took me every Saturday when I was little. They had ponies and handcars-I loved the handcars. I was only at the Melrose Park Kiddieland once. I was in 8th grade and went with my friends and their parents. I had been in a car accident the week before and had a deep burn to my side. Every time I was on a spinning type ride it pushed me against the burn. pain was not bad, but it caused drainage on my clothes. The other Kiddieland was in Dyer,IN. My Uncle would take us once or twice a year. They had a really nice long train ride with a tunnel and a great boat ride. Memories!

18. tim

19. Barb "Stuffy" Foley

Barb "Stuffy" Foley New Member

Wish I had the time available to go. Thanks for info.:cool:

20. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I wish them well. Their website could use a bit of work..