1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Warm.

Discussion in 'Variety and Street Performance' started by Pinky the Clown, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Pinky the Clown

Pinky the Clown New Member

Hi, so it looks like I plan to be in the Christmas Parade with a clown alley. My first one and with it being cold, what are some things that have helped keep you warm? Besides the obvious....I wouldn't want to wear my winter coat.

2. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

We did a Thanksgiving parade the other year and it had to be 65 outside, so we were rather warm. Santa also said the jacket was a bit too much.

The key is to dress in layers. Know both the temperature in the morning and the expected high for the day. Putting on long underwear might seem like a good idea, but it is a layer that you can't take off if it warms up. I have had a hat and jacket that I wore while waiting for the parade began and then ditched once we started moving.

A good clown costume should be a little oversized. It allows for air to flow in the hot summer months and for extra layers in the winter. Hand warmers in the gloves and toe warmers in the shoes will help. Some people have gotten away from wearing wigs, but they can act like a hat and help keep your head warm. There are also silly jester style hats available if you don't want to wear a wig.

3. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Besides carrying my fifth. . . . . . . . . .

Layer of clothes around all day. (Yeah. like that's what you thought I was gonna say)
    Depends upon how cold it is gonna get. I still like underarmor. But I can stand the heat and hate to be cold. Don't forget your hands. I hate having to do gags in gloves but sometimes it can't be helped.
    S.K.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. LarryTheClown

LarryTheClown Well-Known Member

I find that a nice layer of Under Armor is enough to keep my nice and toasty, and it doesn't make my costume look too bulky.

I also once saw a video of the Ringling Brothers clowns juggling outdoors in New York on a cold day, and I've been coveting the really awesome striped scarf one of the clowns was wearing. I imagine it was knitted by one of the guy's relatives, but man, it looked great. (I'm guessing the constant juggling probably kept the guy warm, too.)

5. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

See.... and you all thought Zeppo didn't have a proper purpose for knitting!

Now you're all going to catch cold and freeze over in hell, tormented by clowns with beards and needles.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. The Princess of Bozonia

The Princess of Bozonia Administrator Staff Member

There's always long underwear!

7. Cool Fool

Cool Fool Clown

I got me a red union suit what keeps me right toasty when the mercury plummets, whether I am clowning or not... Gloves and a hat, and I's good to go.

8. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

I did a light up Christmas parade in December last year that was warmer than the one I did for St. Patrick's day. I was very active in the St. Patrick's day one (I lost my headband in the wind good thing I didn't sew it to my wig). But still my fingers froze. I hate wearing gloves but this December appears to not be as nice. Anyone have any tips for keeping the hands warmer other than gloves. Do they make underarmor for hands?
    S.K.

9. Pookie

Pookie Well-Known Member

I learned some survival techniques in the Navy that dealt with keeping hands warm.

Unfortunately, they could be misconstrued while marching in public...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sir Toony Van Dukes

S.K.,

You could use the fingerless gloves. That way, you can still use your hands and fingers. And, you could tuck a hand warmer in the palm of the glove.

It is my understanding that fingers and toes get cold if the core of your body gets cold. The most important thing to keep warm are your head and internal organs. Wearing extra layers under your shirt might help. I believe there is a spot on your shoulder that regulates blood flow into your arms. If that spot is warm, your hands will stay warm.

Next would be to wear an extra skull cap under your wig.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Christopher Clown

Christopher Clown What the Seuss??!

The Red Unit did the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade this year and the show provided us with spandex body suits...(think Cats) as a extra layer under the costumes...

I also made a striped scarf, bought gloves, and the best purchase of the year... ear muffs! all of which were color coordinated with my costume and bedazzled.

Of course keep in mind we were the opening act. We literally got ready in a building across the street, came outside in costume with our coats on... did a rehearsal run, and a live run of our production number. Then we ran back inside...so we weren't out in the weather for too long!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Sir Toony Van Dukes

I want to do parades like that... That waiting around for an hour before the parade is a pain.

13. Christopher Clown

Christopher Clown What the Seuss??!

I swore I'd never be in a unitard ever again!

14. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

I was in Clown last Feb it was super cold outside and I wore Silk Wieght Thermals under my Clown outfit to keep warm they work great without adding to the shape and size of your Clown outfit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  15. Chuckles_Douchet

Chuckles_Douchet New Member

Last Memorial day my troupe appeared in the Jim Butler Days parade in Tonopah NV. Us being from Portland Oregon, we expected it to be warm. The weather forecast said up to the mid 80's it was going to be. Until we hit the road... Then we discovered that it was going to reach a balmy 45 degrees with high winds and chance of rain. In the desert. RAIN!

When performing in cold weather, make sure you warm up physically, as you would for a work out. Take about 5 minutes before you start performing, do a series of movements you would do in a performance. No need to do anything fancy.

Also, keep your core warm. That's where you should layer up. Keep your limbs free to move, because they will help move your blood to where it needs to go. Make sure the layers you put on can be easily opened for ventilation. if it is easy to open, it is easy to close when you need to warm back up.

It is also important to stay hydrated when performing in cold weather. Being dehydrated can throw your body off balance and that's how we get sick. It sucks to have a cold when you have to wear a nose over a runny nose!

• Thanks Thanks x 1