1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In search of the perfect bubble

Discussion in 'Props and Gags' started by Special K'z, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Special K'z

Special K'z Well-Known Member

Just a quick question to the chemists out there. Anyone want to share their bubble blowing secrets. I've tried a couple solutions and different types of strings, done some online research. Just wanting to know what has worked well for others. Some of what I have read says there is no perfect solution, but I'm sure with as large as this forum is there has to be some knowledge out there what works best for creative bubbling. What strings pair well with what solution, favorite bubble recipes, where to find ingredients and supplies, etc. If someone doesn't come up with what I have found out so far I will share what I've tried in just this last month that I started experimenting.
    Thank you,
    S.K.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Special K'z

I've seen that before I think on pinterest. Have you tried it? Do they really glow in the dark or just under black light? Any photos. Does it affect the solution?
    thanks,
    S.K.

3. V

V Well-Known Member

1 cup of distilled water (240 mL)
    2 tablespoons of Dawn dish soap (30 mL)
    1 tablespoon of glycerin (15 mL)

Allow it to set for 24 hours

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

I have glow sticks, but isn't the stuff inside those things very dangerous? I know there are some warnings on the package...When I broke one I had to wash my hands right away and throw away the thing.
    And you know when you blow bubbles the bubble stuff will always fall on your hands.

5. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

Please tell me more about this "creative bubbling"! I bubble, but not very creatively.

6. Barnie Bonkers

Barnie Bonkers Well-Known Member

I’m trying to figure out this line…..

Keep the glow sticks away from rich of children below the age of 3.”

Exactly what is a “Rich of Children” ?

I know glow sticks are non-toxic…. But boy does the “glow-juice” inside stink !

7. Snoetje

Snoetje Well-Known Member

That's strange, on my package it says that you have to directly wash your hands if you touch that chemical stuff and throw the broken glow stick right away. Maybe mine are different because mine keep glowing the whole night...

8. V

V Well-Known Member

The issue with chemicals, even ones listed as non-toxic, is that they can still be very irritant. Virtually everything from a science lab has the potential to cause some sort of irritation; especially in the eyes, throat, etc. So, all of these things have inherent hazard.

As an alternative to glow stick chemicals mixed into bubble solution; one might try zinc sulfide powder. Non-toxic and probably safer than the glow-stick - but again; it has some risk factor.

9. Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly COAI Secretary

Dawn does seem to be the dish soap of choice these days. It used to be Joy but that was before they changed the formula a few years ago.

Glycerin is the key to bubble life.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. V

V Well-Known Member

Warning labels on virtually everything that requires them are going to be on the cautious side (maybe overly so). This is usually from a corporation's view on litigation rather than safety. It wouldn't be unheard of for someone to have an unsafe knock-off product via an import from a country whose inspection and safety records aren't the best; but in all likelihood, I imagine most warning labels will sound ominous.

11. Mr Cinnamontwist

Mr Cinnamontwist New Member

Thank you all so very much for sharing.

Sharing is caring! <3

12. Special K'z

I have done some more experimenting. I have tried the guar gum recipe and am pretty happy with it so far. It is pretty easy to make up. You have to make a slurry with the alcohol and guar gum and then add it to hot water. The guar, I think, is cheaper than glycerine. That stuff is expensive. The recipe also calls for Dawn professional pots and pans soap. They say you can get it at Sam's club. Where I live it is so rural there are no stores (Sam's included) that carry it or guar gum, even. So I ended up ordering it from amazon. You can find the recipe on this link.
    http://soapbubble.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes_Guar
    Sara K.
    P.S. For Pickles: Creative bubbling involves making bubbles and doing like some tricks with them. Like a giant bubble tube that wraps around you or blowing bubbles inside of bubbles or like taking a balloon and with static electricity you should be able to hold a bubble in mid air. I'm sure there are more tricks that can be done with bubbles. I heard some entertainers make a whole stage show out of blowing bubbles and bubble tricks.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Barnie Bonkers

Barnie Bonkers Well-Known Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. The NORMAL One

The NORMAL One Active Member

I do not have the perfect bubble . I have found something that works well epesically for little ones who are afraid of clowns. At Hobby Lobby they have 12 packs of little bottles of bubbles they are the right size to fit in my pockets to carry in parades and walk arounds . The best is they are the right size for little hands and brings smiles to their faces.

15. Special K'z

Update on solutions I have switched to a j lube concentrate so that I can carry enough solution with me to mix it up on sight as we go through it. I do have about a 5 min or so portion of an indoor stage show where I make bubbles and do bubble tricks to music. I throw bubbles from my fingers formed into a circle, blow bubbles from a string suspended in between my thumb and index fingers in the shape of a figure 8, do a Pustefix bear bubble trick with miming pulling a hair form a child's head and hooking the bubble wand with it to pull it up magically out of the bubble bear. I also do use a bubble hoop and make a huge bubble around me in a circle while spinning around at my waist level saying clown in a bubble. Then move on to putting a big bubble around a plastic clown head set on my bucket lid blowing up over the clown head through a funnel to make a dome bubble encasing the plastic clown head. I do bubble in a bubble with an uncle bubble wand, also use the hoop to catch a bubble inside a bubble blown from a funnel. I make a fairly large bubble in my hand and pop off many smaller bubbles with my other hand. I hold a bubble in between both my hands and make it wobble shaking my hips which is a funny bit. I have also made a larger bubble in between my two hands pull it into two bubbles then bounce them against each other finally getting them to join. I usually end by make a large pile of foam and either turn it into a birthday cake with tissue pre-cut birthday candles or into bugs bubble for an That's all folks type ending. You can also often make a bubble in your hand and bounce another bubble off of it or do a bubble trampoline on a bubble film in a hoop. I do now also have a bubble fogger that I can make fog filled bubbles. It looks very professional and not comparable to a cigarette or anything like that. It is iridescent and black with clear tubes. I purchased this unit from a professional bubblier who made them with his 3-D printer. It works like a charm and I can put fog filled bubbles in kids hands to which when they pop the air is filled with the fog mist. I've not had problems with any adults being concerned about the fog being smoke related. It is made with pure glycerin that is heated to produce the fog.
    When doing outdoor interactive bubbles I've been most successful with smaller bubble garlands and tri strings for kids to use and oil drip pans of bubble solution. I usually use a bigger bucket and my variety of larger tri strings, garlands, nets and pattern strings on expandable fishing rods to get it bubbles up high in the air. For interactive tricks with the kids I use the top half of a pop bottle cut off with a piece of microfiber cloth zip tied over the big end. Then dip and blow making towers of foam in the kids' hand or on their head and use giant scissors to cut their "foam hair". This week I went through about 8 or 9 5 gallon buckets of solution in two 4 hour days at a fair that booked me solely for bubbles. They wanted something new for the kids and saw my bubbles last year on my facebook page. They wanted a Saturday but I only had week days open so they took it. Bubbles are fairly new and many event planners don't know what to expect when you say interactive bubble show. Once I've been there once they ask for it over and over cause the kids love this experience. I also have this year have been able to put kids inside a bubble OUTDOORS, with a top down type bubble quad string in calm conditions. It isn't easy cause even a slight breeze will make it difficult. It helps if you can read the winds and get in between wind breezes or move to a more sheltered location on site. I've done it at a park community festival, a Christian 4th of July outdoor picnic, and now at a county fair. This last fair the lady who booked me was smiling and taking pictures as I was putting kids in a bubble, when I started the bubble hair cutting she just walked away shaking her head. Safe to say bubbles made their mark. I love making bubbles but to be honest it can be hard on your shoulders and back lifting heavy wands or on your thigh quad muscles as you bend and stretch to bring the bubble down over the top of the kids. I do take breaks doing bubble tricks like foam hair cuts, princess bubble crowns, bubble beards, fog filled bubbles or other smaller hand bubble tricks. Face painting, magic, balloons are great if that is what you can do but I think the biggest reactions from audiences come from a good clown pulling physical comedy/gags, or comedy music playing clowns, or bubbles. If anyone is interested in learning more about bubbles send me a message. I will be going to Kansas City for Fellowship of Christian Magicians smaller conference for their local group and teaching a workshop on bubbling. I will be working with Bev Dowling in this conference. I would be happy to talk bubbling with any clowns interested.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1