1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Idea I am working on and need help with

Discussion in 'Skit and Improv' started by Darrell, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Darrell

Darrell Well-Known Member

I normally do 45 minute shows for children which includes juggling, some magic, and silly games with props. I was thinking I needed to add something new so I came up with an idea which I may try.

I would ask for a couple of volunters from the audience; preferably adults but only if they don't mind being embarrassed. I would invite them to sing along with me different theme songs from famous TV shows such as Gilligan's Island or the Brady Bunch. The goal would be to try to embarrass them but not humiliate them by acting goofy and intentionally singing off key.

I have come up with about 10 different TV show themes so far that I want to try. I was hoping some of you might have a suggestion or an idea of how this idea might work better. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Darrell

2. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

I've seen a lot of Mexican clowns do play along routines with their audiences, including at parties. Watch the David Shiner movie making piece and you'll have an idea of the classic concept. It can, of course, be employed in various ways.. such as what you suggest.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

I can't quite picture what you are going for with the idea. Very few modern shows have theme songs. The older the show, the less likely the kids in the audience will know it. You might be fine with shows like the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, but even those, I am not sure which channels have them. Kids watch Nick and Disney programs.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. V

V Well-Known Member

Billy Connolly does some really funny music based comedy sets pretty often on stage. I'm sure they aren't exactly what you're planning but they may be of some inspiration. A lot on youtube. He has a quick funny warm-up to "Mary Mack" that involves the crowd right off the bat..

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Wobble the Clown

Wobble the Clown New Member

I actually think that's a really cool idea, is the joke ultimately at your expense though?