1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Fear I May Have Been Stiffed!

Discussion in 'The Business of Clowning' started by Pickles, Sep 26, 2013.

1. tim

tim Have red nose, will travel

Do you have an attorney friend who would be willing to send them a little letter with notification that if the fee is not paid by a certain date, you intend to file suit?

2. tim

Do they have a yelp page or anything? If you aren't likely to work for them again due to this incident, you just might want to add your negative review.

3. saphireSue

saphireSue True Blue

Or if you decide to work for them again, they would have to pay up front before the event.

4. Sir Toony Van Dukes

Sir Toony Van Dukes Well-Known Member

Did they ever pay?

I have a repeat customer who is causing me grief. It took too long for them to send a check and when it finally arrive, it was made out to the wrong name. Now, I need to get them to reissue a check in the right name. The joys of being in business.

5. tim

Or change your name.

6. Pickles

Pickles Czarina / Administrator

YES, I finally got paid. Now I can afford to buy another case of rubber chickens!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. that is good next time best be up frount so you dont have to worry

8. Cardboard

Cardboard New Member

I've had difficulty a few times with clients and have learned that when booking that even if I don't send a contract, at the very least get the payment terms crystal clear-who is paying me, when, how much, and what form.

9. Loopy

Loopy Well-Known Member

This reminds me of when I would do vehicle repairs (brakes, mufflers lower body) for people and I learned that if I didn't get paid in advance it was all to easy for me to get stiffed esp if they were friends or coworkers and being a nice person which I am made me more vulnerable to this so the quik fix is to obtain payment first.

10. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I had this happen to me on two different occasions: Once with a school they waited two months to pay kept giving me the run around and a new hoop to jump through as they stalled I jumped and then used a personal contact to get them to check on it as they were the Superentendant of Schools family I was paid the next day. Another time I had a bounced check it took me 7 months to get my money I was like a pit bull on a bone, I tried to visited her weekly and called every other day she didnt answer either. She changed her number and moved out after 2 weeks on the third week it was new family on the first of the month. I thought my money was gone forever. I was at a bag party and low and behold the sales lady was the lady selling the stuff. I walked to my car and got my calendar with her bounced check, I politely asked to talk to her privately and told her I get my money now or I go into the party and talk to her in front of her future customers. I was paid five minutes later and due to the guilt I guess of stiffing me the way she did I got double my fee and the returned check fee. needless to say now but I didn't buy any thing and now with family parties my policy is a contract is signed before I start (if hired short notice) and cash only.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  11. Donuts

Donuts Active Member

I had this happen to me on two different occasions: Once with a school they waited two months to pay kept giving me the run around and a new hoop to jump through as they stalled I jumped and then used a personal contact to get them to check on it as they were the Superentendant of Schools family I was paid the next day. Another time I had a bounced check it took me 7 months to get my money I was like a pit bull on a bone, I visited her weekly and called every other day she changed her number and moved out after 2 weeks on the third week it was new family on the first of the month. I thought my money was gone forever. I was at a bag party and low and behold the sales lady was the lady selling the stuff. I walked to my car and got my calendar with her bounced check, I politely asked to talk to her privately and told her I get my money now or I go into the party and talk to her in front of her future customers. I was paid five minutes later and due to the guilt I guess of stiffing me the way she did I got double my fee and the returned check fee. needless to say but i didn't buy any thing and now with family parties my policy now is a contract which they sign before I start if hired short notice and cash only.